It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User
emphysema misdiagnosed??

hi does any one know if emphysema shows on an xray, does it mean emphysema or could it be someting else??? x

Old 12-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User
Re: emphysema misdiagnosed??

Hyperinflated lungs appearing on an xray may appear to be emphysema, but the only reliable diagnosis of COPD/emphysema is by pulmonary function tests. A simple spirometry test (where you just blow into a tube) will determine if there is any loss of lung capacity which would require the full pulmonary function testing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
Hyperinflated lungs appearing on an xray may appear to be emphysema, but the only reliable diagnosis of COPD/emphysema is by pulmonary function tests. A simple spirometry test (where you just blow into a tube) will determine if there is any loss of lung capacity which would require the full pulmonary function testing.
thank you for reply. my function tests were a little low. i had my first xray in feb which shew slight inflated lungs.i had another last week which shew my lungs being a lot worse. im only 32 and dont smoke. i cant understand how i have emphysema,this is why i wander if ive been misdiagnosed.i have alot of chest pain and back pains and keep losing weight also. i dont think that could be emphysema???? x

Old 12-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Ask your doctor if it would be a good idea to be tested for Alpha One Antitrypsin deficiency which causes lung disease even in those who have never smoked; particularly since you are so young to be diagnosed with possible lung disease. (The Alpha One Foundation provides testing at no charge.)

Old 12-29-2009, 03:09 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User

hi ,ive been tested for that and dont have it. im also in alot of pain chest and back but i dont think emphysema would cause pain.
i did phone my lung docs seceretary today for some advice and shes going to speak to my doc and get back to me. my next app isnt until march,i dont want to wait that long. i saw a stand in doc before xmas who couldnt make his mind up whether to send me for a ct scan or not,in the end he decided no but im hoping my normal doc i see will read my notes and decide to send me for one....that will make me alot happier!!!
no one has even explained this disease to me or how serious it can be,what i know is gained from the internet!!! and it worries me that my lungs have got worse within a year without smoking,are they going to carry on gettin worse,and like i said im only 32 and have a yyoung child,i dont want to end up on oxygon or needing lung transplants!!!!!
ive only just been given an inhaler also,ive been tellin my normal gp for ages that im out of breath but did nothing for me !!! x

Old 01-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

I hope by now you have received more info from your pulmo dr, jellebeans. It does seem a CT scan is in order. BTW, lungs have no nerve endings and, thus, no pain. I have severe COPD/emphysema and am on 02, but never have pain, FWIW. Sending best wishes that you finally receive a definitive diagnosis.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Maybe you have sarcoidosis? this can cause chest pain and lung pain and make it difficult to breath and damages the lungs.
they become fibrotic and can be seen on a ct scan. do you have any type of skin bumps? or swollen glands anywhere?
do a search on symptoms and testing for sarcoidosis.
My niece who is age 51 was just diagnosed with it last year and never smoked a day in her life. her lungs are so scarred. they found it accidentally because she went to a dermatologist for some skin lesion she had, they biopsied it, pathology found out it was sarcodosis and then further testing was performed.
it's a very high percentage rate that it also strikes the lungs and sure enough they found it there.
it can also strike the liver, eyes, and other organs too.
they don't know what causes it.
just a thought. hope it helps.
I wish you the best outcome.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY 1009 View Post
Maybe you have sarcoidosis? this can cause chest pain and lung pain and make it difficult to breath and damages the lungs.
they become fibrotic and can be seen on a ct scan. do you have any type of skin bumps? or swollen glands anywhere?
do a search on symptoms and testing for sarcoidosis.
My niece who is age 51 was just diagnosed with it last year and never smoked a day in her life. her lungs are so scarred. they found it accidentally because she went to a dermatologist for some skin lesion she had, they biopsied it, pathology found out it was sarcodosis and then further testing was performed.
it's a very high percentage rate that it also strikes the lungs and sure enough they found it there.
it can also strike the liver, eyes, and other organs too.
they don't know what causes it.
just a thought. hope it helps.
I wish you the best outcome.
hi thank you for this info,i will look into it as yes i do have some skin bumps,had for years ,tiny little fleshy things,dont know if thats the sort of bumps u mean and yes my glands are quite often swollen. ill go and google it now!!! x

Closed Thread