It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
(male)

dstew22 HB User
damage from smoking???

I'm 22 years old. I've been a smoker since i was 14. I've always been an athlete and always will be. Soon i will be in college playing football. My only worry is how much damage i have done with all the smoking. I stopped smoking months ago. I know my lungs have taken a serious beating but i'm willing to work through the problem that i caused. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-28-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Please post your question on one board only. This post will remain, but the others have been removed.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: damage from smoking???

Hi there,

This is by no means meant to condone smoking, but just to put things in perspective. Smoking definitely causes lung damage, no doubt about that, but it does take a LOT of smoking to cause serious lung damage. Smoking is quantified in medicine by the number of packs of cigarettes you smoke a day (usually measured at peak someone ever smoked) multiplied by the number of years you've smoked. So a person who's smoked two packs a day for 10 years is said to have a 20 packyear history of smoking.

Generally, at a 10 packyear history (i.e. 2 packs a day for 5 years, or 1 pack a day for 10 years or half a pack a day for 20 years) one starts to see evidence of smoking damage to the blood vessels and the heart. People who have SMOKING RELATED lung cancer, generally have a smoking history somewhere around 40 packyears.

Because younger people tend not to smoke as heavily as a long-time 50 year old smoker, permanent lung damage is often not seen before the age of 30.

It's a GREAT idea you quit smoking, smoking DOES have deleterious health effects to much more than your lungs, but given that you probably weren't smoking full packages of cigarettes for years at a time, the damage you did to your lungs is fairly minimal and will likely not affect you later in life. This is of course assuming you maintain cessation of smoking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread