It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
(female)

wmaples HB User
Unhappy Bronchitis? Asthma? Worried and need advice, please.

About 2 weeks ago I suddenly got a somewhat infrequent cough but it was deep, felt congested deep in my chest, and had a few sort of wheezy sensations (like when I breathed in deep as if something stuck together for a sec). Was very tired, no other symptoms, not even before that. I rested, it seemed to mostly go away.

Then I awoke 2 days ago and it was back... some coughing, sticking/wheezy thing, fatigue. I already had appt. w/ new GP for suspicious mole the next day - cough was better and wheezy thing not happening, but nurse noticed temp slightly up and slight cough so she noted to GP to check it out.

The Dr. listened to my chest, had me suck in and blow out air hard, and said I had wheezing and after asking if I have ever had asthma, diagnosed me with bronchitis. She prescribed Zythromycin, an Albuterol inhaler (3x/day), and a 6-day pack of methylprednisolone.

I am one of those people who is very sensitive to meds and other things (1 cup of coffee gives me jitters, can't handle things like Sudafed, etc.) and am prone to palpitations. I am also on lifelong med for hypothyroid (had most of it surgically removed due to nodule). So: the inhaler really wigs me out (dizzy, jittery) and I'm not sure I need it if I'm not having that pronounced sticky/wheezy thing? And after day 1 on the steroids, I'm not sure I can handle them, either. Right now I have a severe, migraine-like headache, random leg and arm muscle cramps, jitters, a flushed face, and can't sleep although I'm exhausted and know I need rest. I haven't even taken the last dose of the day today, and don't think I can manage it.

So my questions are: does anyone know why I would be given essentially what are asthma meds for bronchitis? The insert says the steroids can suppress the immune system and result in colds, viruses - but if I have bronchitis due to a virus, isn't that counterproductive? I have read here that the Albuterol is a "rescue" inhaler, but I don't seem to have the sort of symptoms that require it...? Is it common to have these things prescribed for bronchitis? I have had it once before but was just treated with antibiotics and rest. Or is there maybe something more going on?

I am confused, feeling some anxiety over my symptoms, my response to the drugs (actually that's really making me anxious - I HATE feeling all amped-up and having mysterious pains and things), and what may really be going on. I am scared of the possibility of asthma or pneumonia or something.

It is hard for me to see another Dr. - we live in a somewhat isolated rural area and have only just finally got another doctor in our clinic - for past 3 years had just PAs, and had to drive an hour for a Dr. in larger town.

Help... please?? I am kind of scared and don't feel well at all. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread