It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
(female)

kaitenight HB User
Exclamation PLEASE HELP! Bruised Lungs? Pulled Muscles?

I've had a cold for about a week now. It started with a tickling in my throat, then turned into post nasal drip, then came a stuffy nose, and then coughing. The stuffy nose cleared up first, followed by the post nasal drip, but the coughing has left my throat ragged and inflamed, and its affected my voice. They have been very hard coughs, where I can feel my ribs vibrate with the force, and I'd taste blood in the back of my throat. Well, I woke up this morning, took a shower, and as I was getting dressed, I dropped my shorts and bent double to pick them up. As I was standing back up, I get an ache in my back/sides. I thought it was from the bra I was wearing, (I'm rather busty, and sometimes if I don't have proper support my back/shoulders start to ache.) so I changed that to one with wider straps, and a wider band at the back. But, as I was putting my shoes on, I sat down on the stairs and noticed that the act of bending to sit, made my chest tighten, and I had to pant though the tightness until it loosened up and went away. I shrugged it off, it didn't hurt that badly, it just tightened up. I was going to the Shedd Aquarium here in Chicago with my boyfriend, and my dad, and I wasn't about to let a little chest discomfort ruin my fun. I had been cooped up in the house for 2 weeks trying to first stave off the cold, then recovering from it. As the day progressed, I noticed if I turned my upper body too quickly, the pain was almost startling in its intensity, it also hurt when I walked up, and down stairs. So, I just took things slowly, and tried to avoid anything I thought might cause the pain to return. But, soon it came that I could not do anything, sit, walk, breathe, stand, lean against something, without feeling this shock of pain down my back, and through my chest and ribs. My boyfriend tried to help, but the usually fixes to a stiffened back did not help. (When I was in High School, I went through a stage where a friend would crack my back by squeezing me around the middle. Like cracking my knuckles, I'd get a stiffness in my upper back that would be relieved as soon as it was cracked.) My boyfriend could crack above the area where the pain was centered (between my shoulder blades), and then below it (my lower back). But when he squeezed the middle part, it didn't do anything at all. It was just excruciating pain, that when he would let me go, I'd have to take short breaths to ease the pain. I thought it was pulled muscles, but how can I pull every muscle in my entire ribcage? Then, about an hour ago, I stepped down the stairs while putting my hair up, and I had to cough. I paused at the landing, and coughed. It was huge, and I felt my entire ribcage seize up. I couldn't move, I couldn't breathe, I could just stand there frozen in agony, my arms raised where I had been putting my hair up. I put my arms down slowly, then panted through the pain, I was so terrified. I was alone for the night, who could I call if this was something serious? I don't have insurance, I couldn't call 911. I sat down on the couch, and eased onto my back. While I had been out for the day, this had helped take some of the pain away(until I stood up). So, I called my mom crying, and she came and rubbed some Icy hot on my back, she gave me two tylenol and put me to bed. Of course, I wasn't tired after that. So, I began talking to a friend and she said it could be bruised lungs. I've never heard of a bruised lung before. I've heard of bruised ribs, and pulled muscles (I've had many before considering I used to be a swimmer.), but never a bruised lung. My friend didn't mention any symptoms, so I can't be sure if this is what she says. And going to a doctor, and getting xrays is completely out of the question with no insurance. And if I were to try to get any sort of medical attention, it would take several hours(I had gone for an infection, and had been sitting in the waiting room for 15 hours, while they bused in the "frequent flyers". All in all, it was a horrible experience. One I don't think I could repeat in my current condition.).
What are the symptoms of a bruised lung?
Could it be pulled muscles?
The Icy hot seemed to help a bit, but it could also be the tylenol dulling the pain.
Someone, anyone, PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by kaitenight; 05-03-2010 at 01:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
(female)

kaitenight HB User
Re: Bruised Lungs? Pulled Muscles?

I know it looks really daunting, with all that text. But I felt you needed to know as much about the situation as possible. Please, I could really use your help!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
(female)

redbellywp HB User

Severe coughing spells can cause cracked or even broken ribs. The type of pain you describe could be caused by your ribs. You need to see a health professional immediately. Untreated broken ribs can sometimes cause serious problems.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
(female)

kaitenight HB User

There's not any possible way to seek medical attention. I'm doing much better today then yesterday. The pain is mostly gone except an slow, dull ache in the middle of my back. Earlier I had some severe pain, and after that I was really sensative to alot of things (I.E: the revving of a VERY loud motorcycle, the heavy THOOMM, THOOMM, THOOMM of some 'homeboys' stereo.) But, after getting home, the only difficulty I've had is some slight pain of getting up, and sitting down. I also still have a hard time slouching. I find things are worse in the mornings, and if I am overly tired. Thank you for your help, though. Any other opinions and help is welcome.

Closed Thread