It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
(male)

Trent77 HB User
Exclamation Breathing and Mucus Problem

Hi,

I am having breathing problems. It first started 4 months ago. I went to a doctor and was given anti-biotics and other sinus meds. It went away but continued to breathe kind of heavy from time to time and had an off again on again sore throat/sinus infection. A couple of weeks ago I had another sore throat. I thought this time I had strep but went away. Directly after that I started feeling like my nasal passages were completely closing up. My throat feels like someone has their hand around it squeezing it and the right side of my nose sometimes hurts and burns and my nose is completely stopped up. Also feels like my nose is very very dry and can't get air through it. I have been feeling dizzy very often as well. I have alot of trouble swallowing at times and other times not much trouble. Sometimes it's much worse than other times but there is always mucus in my throat and sometimes feels like it's just hanging there and I cannot cough it up. Sometimes mucus just comes out without coughing at all.

I was addicted to crystal meth for 7-8 months where I used almost daily in 2007 and was snorted through nose 90% of the time. I have been clean since and I work out 4 times a week weight training and 3 times a week with cardio training. Don't drink or doing and kind of drugs ever. I eat a healthy clean diet. However, I have yet one last addiction. Smoking. I have cut down to 2-3 a day since this began and I am trying to quit. I was only smoking 1/2 to 3/4 pack a day before but I have been smoking for 15 years. I am 33 years old, 188 pds. Thanks very much for any advice, I have been very very worried. I have completely changed my lifestyle and habits and now this is happening. Thanks again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
(male)

Trent77 HB User
Re: Breathing and Mucus Problem

I forgot to mention that I have alot wheezing when I breathe out but no wheezing when breathing in. Also when opening my mouth open very wide I feel slight soreness at very top of throat but none in the throat at all.

59 views and no suggestions? Anyone?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Breathing and Mucus Problem

It sounds like your sinus infection or virus that's hanging around is causing lots of problems...continued problems and probably exacerbated by you smoking.

It's awesome you've quit the meth...but you should try to quit smoking as well.

You should be sent to an ENT to get to the bottom of what's going on in your sinuses and hopefully the doc can take a look at your throat and lower to see if there's more stuff happening in there.

If you have reflux, that can make the stuff in your throat worse.

You could try using a Neti pot to irrigate your sinuses, maybe take Sudafed to help open the passages.

Maybe allergy testing is next in line, chest x-rays and whatever else the doc deems necessary for you to find a cause.

I can relate to the frustration of breathing and colds and sinus/throat crap....

Definitely drink enough water to thin out the mucus and Mucinex will help as well. (wish we had that in Canada).

Keep us posted as to the outcome.
q

Closed Thread