It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
(female)

whitesa6 HB User
possible Bronchiectasis?

Can Bronchiectasis result after just one run in with acute bronchitis that lasted about 3 weeks?

I read that it can occur after recurrent infections, but I only had one...acute bronchitis.

I ask this because after being diagnosed with acute bronchitis 5 weeks ago and having it for 3 weeks, my cough got MUCH MUCH better, but I still can hear/feel the "chest congestion" and purposefully cough to attempt to get rid of the phlegm in my lungs/chest.

When I do cough in the MORNING (on purpose), I cough up quite thick chunks of phlegm that are bright yellow, sometimes a greenish color (I cough about 10 chunks up each morning), and then as the day goes on, when I cough up phlegm, it is white and/or clear, less chunky, but still quite thick.

I am worried about •Bronchiectasis because 1. It's week #5 and although the cough has gotten MUCH better, I still have phlegm/chest congestion daily and 2. That morning phlegm is QUITE thick/chunky.

Can it be that I'm already seeing symptoms of •Bronchiectasis?
Could it be something else?

I'm currently taking nasonex (had a runny/stuffy nose as well...doc thought post nasal drop may be causing chest congestion still), as well as finishing up a 10 day prescription of Doxycycline (doc didn't think it was bacterial, but just in case gave me this to take...I'm on day 5). Neither seem to be signifcantly CHANGING/LESSENING my chest congestion too much.

When should I go back to the doctor? Am I not giving this enough time to "heal"? panicking?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
(female)

Jupiterjoy HB User
Re: possible Bronchiectasis?

Are you doing better now? Did you get a diagnosis?

I've got a similar situation. I was sick with pneumonia and asthmatic bronchitis (first time for both) in Nov/Dec and am still having shortness of breath. I'm having a ct scan soon to find out what is going on.

Closed Thread