It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
(male)

zachwantspeace HB User
Do lungs heal themselves?

Hello. I am wondering if the lungs heal themselves. I have heard something to that effect, by the use of some kind of mucus.

I know that for chronic smokers, the lung damage is permanent due to the think chemicals such as tar that bond to the lung wall.

But for less intense chemicals, can the lung clean themselves?
For example, if I were to constantly be around dust that got in my lungs, or for those who smoke a lot of marijuana, do the lungs clear themselves of dust and ash?
I am so curious.
Ok thanks.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
(male)

mav333 HB User
Re: Do lungs heal themselves?

The lungs can remove debris from themselves like tar and dust, I've heard that scaring or actual tissue damage is not repairable. If you stop smoking your lungs/breathing will improve as it gets all that gunk out of your lungs from the smoking. So I'd quit smoking asap if you haven't because it can cause chronic inflamation of the lung tissue which scars and cannot be repaired. You could end up with COPD or other lung problems if you scar the lungs enough so please quit smoking, or anything that could possibly irritate lungs. You won't know until it's to late. If your worried about it I'd see a lung doctor see if any probs have already occured.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread