It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
(male)

Nemmm HB User
Need help, breathing problem wrecking my life

Originally Posted by Nemmm View Post
6 Months ago I went to the doctor for the feeling of shortness of breath, When I inhaled I couldn't get a full breath. I had Hyperventilation Syndrome as I think its called.
I went to the doctor and had several tests including Ectocardiogram, Chest X-ray, Blood test, Breathing test and a few others. They all came out Nothing was wrong. After that I went to the psychiatrist Because my Doctor told me it was probably Anxiety but I didn't feel as it was the cause. I went and he gave me Lexapro which I tried for a month but not sure if it helped. A while after This I went to the ER because it was really bad one night, Every time I triied to take a deep breath in I couldnt get it and THE ER doctor told me my CO2 levels were low and usually when it was better I could get it sometimes but that Night was horrible. Right now Ive been trying Nose breathing and Stomach breathing and I feel better but I still need some help. Can you please help me?

This is how I breath just so you guys can get a picture now. Before I breathed with my mouth but now with my nose. I take a few breaths in and exhale pretty shallow, not deep. I then have the urge to take a deep one and sometimes I get the satisfying feeling and sometimes I dont and the cycle repeats.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
(male)

Nemmm HB User
Re: Need help, breathing problem wrecking my life

Can anyone please help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi there! Sorry that nobody has replied to your post until now. Sometimes things can be very slow in here. Actually, this is the first time that I've looked into this Forum. I'm usually in the Chronic Pain forum because I suffer from severe and chronic back and hip pain. I am also someone who has trouble breathing and I can relate to your description of trying to get a deep breath and what it feels like when your lungs don't work the way you know they should. Don't know if you were a smoker or were exposed to any toxic chemicals or second hand smoke during your lifetime, but I was a smoker with a 30 year history of the habit. I began having some breathing problems about 10 years ago. I noticed that I was getting short of breath when I exerted myself (climbing stairs, carrying groceries, etc.). It felt like I could get a breath in but not always exhale completely. Sort of the opposite of the way you are feeling now. What sent me to the doctor though wasn't my problem with breathing. It was actually as a result of seeing a rheumatologist for pain in my joints. She examined me and did some blood work; a chest xray; xrays of my joints. Something showed up on the chest xray that looked very suspicious so she sent me to the pulmonologist. He thought that perhaps it was a small cancer lesion and scheduled me for a lung biopsy. Before the biopsy was to be done he ran some breathing tests and did what's called a blood oxygen (blood gas) test. That's where they evaluate your blood to see how much oxygen is circulating in your body. Well...my blood oxygen level was extremely low (something like 48%)!! After more breathing tests were done I had the biopsy. The lesion turned out to be nothing to worry about but it was clear that I had a lung problem. I was started on oxygen therapy and prednisone for both my lungs and my arthritis. I finally quit smoking but my breathlessness continued. Haven't had a cigarette in over 10 years now. My diagnosis is COPD, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

It sounds like you need to have some more tests done to see what is causing your shortness of breath. Exactly what kind of doctor are you seeing and what procedures/tests have you had done? I'm very interested in knowing what your background is and if you've had a life time of lung problems. Will wait to hear back - BrittleBones

Old 02-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
(male)

Nemmm HB User

The tests I have had done were: Ectocardiogram, Blood test ( Dont know if it was full), I visited the Pulmonary expert and did some tests there, I had a regular breathing just blowing in to the thing, Lung X-ray and Melancholine Challenge Testing and Ive also visited the Psychiatrist and went on a month of anxiety meds that didnt seem to really help. My most recent thing was I went to ER where doc said I had low CO2 levels and to breathe in a paper bag but that didnt help. Ive also been noticing things recently, I didnt have a stress test which maybe could be good to have. But more important ive been noticing some symptoms I didnt take into account before like heart beating fast for simple things like throwing up my blanket to fix my bed, I have cold hands for some reason, runny nose for long periods of time aswell and before I had rib pain when I was inhaling which was when my breathing was very bad and I notice sometimes when i swallow food that i feel its still there in my throat not fully digested, these all may be connected but im not sure.

Last edited by Nemmm; 02-21-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi again Nemm. Your list of symptoms sounds very much like some autoimmune diseases to me. I say that because I myself have a diagnosis of mixed/overlapping connective tissue disease and rheumatoid arthritis and a strong indication of Sjogren's (sp?) Disease. All of these diseases and syndromes can have symptoms like trouble breathing, muscle/joint aches and pains, swallowing problems (Sjogrens's especially!), heart and lung problems. Although women are much more likely to suffer from autoimmune disease, men can still get these problems. In order to know if you have any of these you would need some very specific blood tests done.

Were the results of your pulmonary tests and your echocardiagram within normal range? Have you ever suffered from allergies or asthma? I can imagine how confused and concerned you are at this point. You continue to have some really uncomfortable symptoms without a real diagnosis. What does the doctor advise you to do at this point? BrittleBones

Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
(male)

Nemmm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittleBones View Post
Hi again Nemm. Your list of symptoms sounds very much like some autoimmune diseases to me. I say that because I myself have a diagnosis of mixed/overlapping connective tissue disease and rheumatoid arthritis and a strong indication of Sjogren's (sp?) Disease. All of these diseases and syndromes can have symptoms like trouble breathing, muscle/joint aches and pains, swallowing problems (Sjogrens's especially!), heart and lung problems. Although women are much more likely to suffer from autoimmune disease, men can still get these problems. In order to know if you have any of these you would need some very specific blood tests done.

Were the results of your pulmonary tests and your echocardiagram within normal range? Have you ever suffered from allergies or asthma? I can imagine how confused and concerned you are at this point. You continue to have some really uncomfortable symptoms without a real diagnosis. What does the doctor advise you to do at this point? BrittleBones

The results were in normal range im pretty sure they Didnt say anything about it so usually its good. I dont know if I have allergies and Ive never suffered from Ashtma before. I had about three doctors, One told me this is not a big problem, the other to see a psychiatrist because he said its probably anxiety and the other the same. I dont experience Aches and Pains though.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
(male)

losing HB User

Just wanted to comment on this one, I suffer the same breathing issues. I am 28 and I have had what I'll call breathing difficulties for almost all of my twenties. I've spent countless dollars trying to find an explanation for all this with no result. MRI, CT Scans, Heart Tests the list goes on and on. My symptoms aren't limited to breathing issues though, I also have lightheadedness, heart palpatations, chest pressure(this is the worst), the cold feeling you describe and others. I have been told time and time again its anxiety, which it very well may be, but I refuse to be on drugs. I believe there is some truth to what your doc said about hyperventilation. I believe Hyperventilation may be what I have as well. My breathing issues were progressive, they started out in my early twenties as some mild air hunger(used to have to sleep with a fan in my face to feel comfortable) and then it progressively got to the point where I am now, which is I constantly feel short of breath and lightheaded. In any case, I reccomend reading up on hyperventilation. I wish I knew how I could get my breathing back to normal.
It sounds like such an easy concept, but is proving very difficult. Good Luck.

I am also a smoker although now maybe have 3-5 a day. Smoking makes me crazy lightheaded and I feel like im having a heart attack.

Closed Thread