It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
(female)

bellagee HB User
Should I be worried? Please help.

Hello. I don't know if I'm getting into a state of panic at the moment but I am hoping someone can ease my mind until I see my doctor again. I have had an upper respiratory tract cold for the last 5 days - sometimes my throat is very itchy and my cough is dry but most times it is a productive cough. Earlier today I felt very short of breath so I went to see a local doctor and she listened to my lungs and they sounded clear. I was then asked to blow into this machine (for the life of me I can't remember what it's called) and the result was good, but when I was tested on a second machine the result was not very good - she didn't give me details but she told me not to be too concerned as it would be very hard to blow into these tubes when you have a cold. She has put me on Ventolin (to use as required) and Symbicort (one puff in the morning and one in the evening) to assist me with my breathing until I recover from this cold. I am seeing my usual GP next week but I am very concerned that this could be a sign of COPD as I used to be a smoker for 22 years and quit 4 months ago. Can someone please give me some advice? Would it be true to say that the results of these tests would be different (possibly better) if I didn't have a cold? Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
(male)

RANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB User
Re: Should I be worried? Please help.

Bellagee, I have recently had a simulalar thing happen when 4 days ago i started coughing out of nowhere and the 2nd day of it my throat started getting sore but on the first day i took cold and cough meds thinking it was a cold and a possible respitory infection starting up so continued taking them. On the 3rd day my throat was sore and my voice was almost compleatly gone so yesterday i went to my Dr. and he gave me Spiriva,Ibupropen 800mg,Zpack and cough med with codine. I will be going back in 2 weeks for check up so i will find out more if this doesnt clear up and im still going to ask if its possibly from me smoking. Good luck to both of us yes lol!!! Keep us informed and i will do the same, Thank you for the info hun!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
(female)

bellagee HB User

Thanks Randy. Yes will keep you updated. I would though like to hear from others as well on this board. I have to wait a week before I see my doctor and I am very nervous.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
(female)

bellagee HB User

Oh and I forgot to mention, I first had to blow into a peak flow monitor and I think the doctor said the reading was 440 which she said was good. It was the 2nd test that I did (and this is where I can't remember what that little device is called), that my results weren't so good........ :-(

Old 02-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
(male)

Bellagee, Today for me is better,I dont have the sore throat and my voice is back to normal so far but now i have a little drainage, not much but im more back to normal lol. The spiriva is making me feel kinda weird which means the med is working from what i was told lol. Thats great on the first test,what was the score on the 2nd test?

Old 02-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
(female)

bellagee HB User

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better Randy. I still seem to have the runny nose, and loads of phlegm in my throat (sorry!). The doctor didn't give me the results of the 2nd test so unfortunately I can't share the detail with you. The only thing she said was that I shouldn't be too concerned as I have a cold so it would be difficult to breathe into that device. I am very scared though and I'm constantly thinking now that I may have a breathing disorder - I don't know if it's anxiety but the more I think about my breathing the worse it seems to get. Until I see my own doctor next week, I think I will be a nervous wreck :-(

Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
(male)

Hi just seeing how you were Bellagee,im doing alot better myself,just a small cough is all but still taking the pramethazine the Dr. gave me till i go back for a fallow up this week,hope all is well.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:26 AM   #8
(female)

bellagee HB User

Hi Randy, I seem to have overcome the flu but I have alot of anxiety at the moment that is starting to border on depression. I am seriously worried about my lungs as I am still getting quite short of breath - it could be the anxiety as I am so aware of my breathing but I am turning into a right state. Can't wait to see my doctor. Take care.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
(female)

bellagee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDOL View Post
Hi just seeing how you were Bellagee,im doing alot better myself,just a small cough is all but still taking the pramethazine the Dr. gave me till i go back for a fallow up this week,hope all is well.
Sorry Randy, I just want to wish you all the best with your follow up appointment as well x

Closed Thread