It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
(female)

lauram83 HB User
Shadow on x-ray... CT Scan

My husband is 38 and had an xray on his chest, last week the doctor called to say that there is a small shadow on one lung and he now has a CT scan on Tuesday.

It all started at the begining of Dec when me, my husband and our 2 sons all had a cold/cough. Myself and my husband had really bad coughs, i was having horrible coughing fits. My youngest son was in hospital on christmas eve with an extremely bad wheeze/cough. Anyway since then my husbands cough has carried on, it kind of comes and goes but the last few weeks it's come back bad again and so has my sons he was again in hospital with it, he is now getting better. My husband went to dr had some antibiotics which did nothing and was sent for a chest xray.

We are just so worried that it may be bad news, the CT scan appointment has come through so fast, they must have seen something they think needs looking at urgently. He has never smoked but has worked in nightclubs since he was 15, which obviously until recently were very smoky places. He had a chest xray a year ago for the same thing and it was clear. He has bouts of flu like symptoms then seems to get alittle better then a few weeks later it starts again, he is particularly bad at the minute, cough, yellow phelgm, breathlessness, chest/back pain, aching, running nose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
(female)

bnlrrice HB User
Re: Shadow on x-ray... CT Scan

Having the CT is much better than an x-ray. I wouldn't worry about them pushing it threw fast, they should have told you to rule out cancer or anything else. I had a chest x-ray once on an unrealated issue and the hospital sent me a certified letter stating I need to be ruled out for cancer (not in the letter but when I called). Today doctors will usually warn ahead of time and not sugar coat it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Try not to worry too much about the CT scan. It is an easy test and there is nothing you can do until the results come back.

I had a concerning chest x-ray last fall when I had a chronic cough that didn't respond to treatments. I was in for a CT chest scan at the hospital the next day. I actually got a call the day after the CT scan with the results which showed up normal.

I've had chest chest x-rays at least once per year for lung issues for years and have learned that there are many different things that can show up on the x-rays. Some things can be serious, but many other things can be easily treated and aren't as serious.

Has your husband been tested for Pertussis? It can cause a chronic cough that lasts for about 100 days.

My prayers are with you and your husband.

MountainReader

Old 02-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
(female)

lauram83 HB User

He hasnt been tested for anything, the doctors have been very dismissive of him up to now. He's been on 4 occasions, twice they told him it would get better on it's own.

They have already sent him an appointment in outpatients for the day after the CT so i'm guessing this is to give him any results. I'm an absolute nervous reck.

He coughed up what he described as a water on sat night, not vomit, since then his cough seems alittle dryer, less mucus.

I just want to get to Wed, the waiting is awful.

Thanks for replies.

The following user gives a hug of support to lauram83:
MountainReader (02-28-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
(female)

lauram83 HB User

We went to appointment yesterday as nervous wrecks!!! Still not got a definate answer at to what it is, but the dr said it is infection. He has been given some strong antibiotics and had extensive bloods done, also has to do some sputum test, only problems is he is no longer bringing up any phlegm! Only a good thing though i suppose.

The dr is going to ring us again today to organise a scan in a month or so no make sure the nodules have gone.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Thanks for keeping us posted. It sounds like potentially good news. I hope the antibiotics help him like they should.

MountainReader

Closed Thread