It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
(male)

Jagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB User
Wisdom from the board please, severe coughing

i've had a chronic cough for probably over 20 years. As far as i can remember, it first appeared after i got a bad cold and then sorta stuck around.

i'm sorta doctor-phobic and highly anxious so i didnt get it looked into until around 2001. Did the Advair and stuff for Acid reflux drugs, i think to no avail. Lung x ray looked ok. Made it as far as going to get a CT scan of my sinuses and my insurance ran out. Pulmonary tests back then checked out ok, as well. i also had my allergies tested and they said i was ok.

The cough stays for a bunch of months then goes away for a few and repeats the cycle, staying more than going. It gets really alot worse after i get a cold.

Anyway, recently it's back and very bad. My mom just passed away last week of pulmonary fibrosis so i'm very anxious, depressed and concerned about this as i cant stop coughing. Been having to take some xanax to keep the fear at bay and also using some hydrocodone cough syrup to try to get any sort of relief. The combo allows me to sleep a little, at least. Just doesn't totally take it away.

The cough it's self is dry, hacking. My upper bronchial tubes feel really inflamed and burn. There's no flem, no blood. i just can't stop coughing and it's really wearing me down and freaking me out.

i just went back to the DR last week because i'm having a hard time. Did a full physical, everything checked out ok. he gave me Singulair which didnt seem to do much. Also had a Z pack of anti biotics a month back that didnt seem to knock much out either. The only thing as the lung x ray looked good except for a shadow, which the dr and pulmonary guy both said was probably a just shadow but want me to come back for another type of x ray thats more detailed. Needles to say, as a guy with a panic disorder, it's really freakin me out.

Anyway, i'd greatly appreciate it if anyone has any experience with this kind of cough. i haven't been able to really find anything specific to it and i'm really worried.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
(male)

Jagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB User
Re: Wisdom from the board please, severe coughing

Anyone? Could this be laryngeal sensory neuropathy?

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
(female)

murray76 HB Usermurray76 HB User

Ask for a burst of steroids - that with a z pack works for me.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
(male)

Thanks for the reply, Murray. Steroids like Advair?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
(female)

murray76 HB Usermurray76 HB User

No, I use Prednisone, it's a pill. They have a 7-day burst, but I have IPF, so I usually use a higher start dose. The burst starts about 20mg and then tapers off over the week. It's cheap and easy.
Good luck!

Closed Thread