It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
(female)

Sweetlife12 HB User
Question Low peak flow reading, but don't have asthma???

Hi everyone!!

I am 5'8, 116lbs & don't have asthma. I went into my doctor a couple of weeks ago because I was feeling like couldn't breathe well....thought maybe I had a cold. She had me do a peak flow reading and I have never done one before & the reading was in the 200 something range.....she said I had bronchitis and sent me home with albuterol. Later in the week I was having shortness of breath & ended up in the ER.

They did a lung x-ray and said everything looked fine...I was getting enough oxygen when they did the reading on my finger, however my peak flow reading was still low I guess. In the 300 range.....after the breathing treatment it was around 350.

The ER doc advised that I go to see a pulmonary doctor since my reading is below normal.

I also have extreme inflammation on the inside of my nose every time they take a look. When I was younger I went to see an allergist and they did not find any allergies.

I do have an appointment with the pulmonary doctor in a few weeks, my question until then is......how could my reading be sooo low if I don't have asthma or known allergens, yet my peak flow is low and my nose is inflammed.

I just took my reading today and it is 375???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Also, I recently delt with an h.pylori infection & have had strep throat about 4 times!!!

Last edited by Sweetlife12; 04-06-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Low peak flow reading, but don't have asthma???

Those readings are quite low for a tall woman such as yourself. There shouldn't be that much variation, either. Such high variation in readings are a sign of a lung problem. Could be bronchitis, could be asthma, could be something else.

It's possible to develop asthma for the first time at any age. It's also possible to have asthma and sensitive sinuses even if you don't have allergies.

See what the pulmonologist says. Meanwhile, try to keep track of when you feel short of breath, and what you are doing at the time. Definitely use the albuterol if you need to. Did someone show you how to use the inhaler correctly? It's not obvious.

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
Sweetlife12 (04-12-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Sweetlife12 (04-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread