It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

boodle2 HB Userboodle2 HB User
pulmonary fibrosis what happens?

My Mother has been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis and it is horrible! If she is sitting she can breathe but anytime she tries to do anything she is so out of breath that she can't get it back for awhile and it is like she almost goes unconscious, it is so scary! My mother is 82, my question is does anyone know what the last stage is like or how they actually die from this? Does their heart just stop, do they die in their sleep or God forbid do they suffocate? Today was terrible we had just returned from the bathroom and she could not get her breath it was like she was dying right in front of me, she couldn't talk or even look at me, I am so scared for her! She has been through so much medically speaking and she is the best mother ever, I am so blessed that God gave me to her to raise and be called her Daughter! Anyway if anyone knows what the end stages are like please let me know.
Thank you so much

The following user gives a hug of support to boodle2:
quincy (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: pulmonary fibrosis what happens?

It's sad to hear your mom (and you) are going through this. I don't have experience with PF, but I am wondering if your mom has had a diagnosis as to why she has it.

Could she possibly have something else going as well?

Is it the result of something such as smoking or medications? or is it autoimmune?

Is she on any medications?

There is lots of information on the subject...at the very least it will give you enough to formulate questions to ask the doctor regarding your mom's care and comfort at this point.

I can relate to your experience somewhat...my mom died from lung cancer. I have asthma and during colds, my breathing has been quite distressed and I could only imagine on that scale what my mom suffered.

I know it's painful for you, but to me, knowledge (while very scary), offers some answers and resignation.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 06-18-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
(female)

Yes, my mom is on lots of meds. but I think the reason she has this horrible disease is because my father was a heavy smoker and back in those days people smoked inside and also she has had recurring infections in her lungs over the years. I just wish i knew what to expect in the final days, and I don't think it is to far off, at least for her sake I hope it is not to far off! I know that sounds horrible but I can't watch my Mother suffer but I have to because I am taking care of her for now, the good thing for now is while she is at rest she can still breathe!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

It's not a bad thing to think, no one wants their loved ones to suffer.
I can relate fully for what I experienced with my mom.

Are you having anyone come to see your mom to confirm her state...meaning a public community nurse?

It's good your mom's distress isn't while she's resting or sleeping.

Please keep us updated.

I do hope you have supports for yourself..emotionally and to take some of the stress off some of the daily life routines.

quincyxx

Old 06-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
(female)

Yes, there are others who also do their part, it is especially hard for my mother because she has a bad back,can't use her arms, has heart issues and knee problems! She is the strongest woman I know! She has been through so much and still has a sense of humor, but we also have a pain in the behind nephew (her grandson) who causes so many problems for everybody, you could say that he abuses my mother emotionally and psychologically but she won't kick him out, all he does is drink and smoke weed and she still won't kick him out and we are trying to figure out what to do about it, so if you have any suggestions please feel free to express them.

Thank you

Old 06-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have they not put her on oxygen? My mother had PF but her level had to be below 49% for her to get oxygen and it was 51%. She got along quite well at that level.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
(female)

My Mom has been on oxygen for along time now but it doesnt do any good when she is walking or doing anything other than sitting. How long has your mom had this disease? It absolutely breaks my heart to watch her suffer, it is almost unbearable!

Old 06-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Does your mom have a will outlining her requests after she dies? I think that's the only time you'll have any control over the grandson.

My sympathies to you...my (divorced) brother was living with my mom and even refused to leave the last day of possession of the house...we had to call our lawyer and have him threaten my brother. I look back and see should have just called movers and had it all hauled to a storage facility.

The grandson...does he have parents? Do they not have any control over him?
He gets away with what he does because he can and he has no conscience about it. He may have issues, but clear boundaries set by your mom at this point may be a good thing. She may be able to get legal help to have him evicted before she dies...or she's just OK ot not deal with it and leave it to the family afterwards.

It's a tough situation... stressful for you to see it all happen.
quincy

Old 06-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
(female)

My Mother won't kick him out! What bothers me the most is the fact that my mother is Dying and he has absolutely no respect for her at all, it's really quite sickening.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

yes, some people are quite sickening...one of the realities of life. Much worse when it's in your own family. He may totally have a lack of sympathy because he's incapable of having it. Not that it's an excuse, but some people are self-centred to the point of that. I'm not calling him a psychopath, however...

As I mentioned...if it's her house and there are no provisions for him in the will...there's your time to set him on his way.

q

Last edited by quincy; 06-20-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
(female)

It just makes me so sad that my 82 year old mother can't spend probably her final days in peace, he yells at her, gets money from her and causes great distress in the family, and the really sad thing is the police say there is nothing they or we can do about it as long as she puts up with it because she is still in her right mind, we try to talk to her about it but it just upsets her. Thank you so much for listening

Old 06-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, sad indeed. Are you privy to her will and what she wants to do with the house, etc after she dies? Of course, getting rid of him through that process will be bittersweet.

Remember, your mother made that decision to allow him to stay. The flip side is that she's created the distress for the rest of her family during this painful time.

My mom died at home at her request. My brother and I never really got along, and secretly, I believe this was my mom's "opportunity" to bring us together. That distress was so overwhelming.

Therapy and my husband was my lifesaver..lol.

Look after yourself too..

Keep us updated please.
q

Old 06-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
(female)

Well my mom is now in the hospital, she couldn't breathe at all and her ankles were very swollen, so they are trying to figure out what to do next, but my mother refuses to be bedridden know matter what, even if it were to make her more comfortable, she is the toughest women I know. I love her so much but I am afraid the end may be near!

Thank you for listening

Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hope you get some answers from the hospital regarding your mom's condition, and that they can deal with some of her symptoms to make her more comfortable. It depends on what else is going on.

Amazing how strong the body/mind can actually be even in such physical distress.

I can understand your anguish.
q

Closed Thread