It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
(male)

RyanBro HB User
Breathing, other problems.

Two months ago I was having what seemed to show symptoms of Asthma, wheezing, shortness of breath, trouble catching breath. I had about 4-5 attacks in 4 weeks time, after which I went to the doctor, she prescribed an inhaler to take two times daily and a rescue inhaler.

It has been two weeks since the doctor and no attacks, but about four days ago I noticed that I would get shortness of breath, the symptom is more significant while doing physical tasks, like walking or bringing something downstairs. But while at rest I still notice it a small amount.

Other symptoms I've noticed in the last four days include burping a lot, yawning to try to catch my breath, and after walking down my road the top of my right lung will start to feel like it has a small cramp in it, and feeling like I'm gagging or like a bunch of mucus is at the back of my throat.

Any ideas what this might be? I'm going to be 18 in December, I have no history of asthma or any other breathing issues. I'm 148 lbs, 5'10 male, I exercise regularly, eat healthy, non-smoker.

I'm going back to the doctor one week from tomorrow as a follow up for the assumed asthma attacks, I'm just looking for some info to put my mind at ease, thanks for everyone who reads this.

I don't know if this matters but I think it's probably worth adding, I was in a car accident last week Saturday(tire popped, drove off road into 10-12 foot ditch.) and experienced lower back pain immediately after the accident, along with right shoulder pain, black eye from airbags and nose pain(I was wearing sunglasses and airbags flattened them to my face). I was in the passenger seat to give an idea of where what should hurt from seat belt, airbags, etc. the truck landed on the passenger side.

Last edited by RyanBro; 10-09-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
(female)

momoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB User
Re: Breathing, other problems.

a couple of things worth noting. Alot of your symptoms sound acid reflux/gerd related. Have you ever been checked for that ? I know most people think they have to have heartburn symptoms to have this but you do not. The symptoms you describe soun alot like it. Gerd can affect your breathing as well but something else you can look into is called Strider syndrome. My teen daughter was diagnosed with that after similar symptoms as yours. Look into it and see if any of it sounds like you !

Old 10-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
(male)

RyanBro HB User

GERD sounds more likely than Stridor Syndrome, the feeling of gagging or as if mucus is in the back of my throat happens more so in the morning and while I chew gum.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
(female)

you could always try something over the counter like Tagamet and see if it helps ?!

Last edited by mod85; 10-09-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
(male)

RyanBro HB User

I think if it gets progressive I'll try that, I had similar symptoms two years unsatisfying breath, felt like lump in the back of my throat and trouble swallowing saliva but food and drink would go down fine. Thanks for your help!

Old 10-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
(female)

lump in the back of the throat is what I get when my GERD is acting up . That is a tip off for me to start my meds again. Tagamet used to be prescription but is available over the counter now so if GERD is your problem , you should notice a difference pretty quickly from trying it...good luck !

Closed Thread