It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
My husband's cough will not go away!

My husband has had an annoying cough since the beginning of November. He had been trying to treat it with cough syrup and OTC meds, but I convinced him to finally see an internal doc at the beginning of Jan. He thought that maybe it was allergies and gave my DH an inhaler and an antibiotic (just in case). Both of these did nothing. His lungs were clear and his head has been clear with this cough. It is just a nagging cough.

Now, it sounds like he has a head cold and he is coughing up a lung again. His chest isn't congested, just his head. His chest is hurting from the cough.

I had mentioned reflux and he asked the internal doc about this and was told he would have other symptoms if it were reflux. Is this true?

P.S. He did hear a news report the other day that a virus is going around that gives you a cough for weeks. His cough has been for almost 12 weeks! HELP!

Old 01-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: My husband's cough will not go away!

Their are plenty of Virus's that do give a cough for ages and agreed he could have a simple allergy. I would not say it reflux as i have that and its never created a cough.

If he is a smoker or was a smoker then certainly an Xray should be taken. The fact that his lungs are clear is good news, but maybe a lung function test would be worth while again only if he has smoked.

The best thing you can try and do, is keep away from dust smoke etc, and see if in time it goes, but certainly i would be pushing for tests if he is over 40 and has smoked

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

Never a smoker, 36 years old, and has always been healthy as a horse. Cough is a major sign of reflux so that is why I was asking about that. I am beginning to think it is a virus, but this cough is really taking forever to leave his system!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Well relux would give many other symptoms at the same time, eg sore throat, heatburn etc but unlikley to have a cough on its own. Well if he hasnt been exposed to any thing nasty in his working life then a Virus would be the most probable. That said if it continues for another month then an X ray is a must to rule anything out.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
Belly Kelly (01-23-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
(female)

joyfromtroy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly Kelly View Post
My husband has had an annoying cough since the beginning of November. He had been trying to treat it with cough syrup and OTC meds, but I convinced him to finally see an internal doc at the beginning of Jan. He thought that maybe it was allergies and gave my DH an inhaler and an antibiotic (just in case). Both of these did nothing. His lungs were clear and his head has been clear with this cough. It is just a nagging cough.

Now, it sounds like he has a head cold and he is coughing up a lung again. His chest isn't congested, just his head. His chest is hurting from the cough.

I had mentioned reflux and he asked the internal doc about this and was told he would have other symptoms if it were reflux. Is this true?

P.S. He did hear a news report the other day that a virus is going around that gives you a cough for weeks. His cough has been for almost 12 weeks! HELP!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
(female)

joyfromtroy HB User

Does your husband still have cough??? I have been coughinf and gagging for over 3 years. Ten doctors have not figured it out. Tickles like crazy and sometimes phelm comes out. At least 4 doctors have said it is acid reflux ,after trying every medicine on the market for allergies,etc. I have no other effect of acid reflux. 3 Medicines have not worked. i have one medicine now that sounds so scary, I am afraid to take it.JOY

Closed Thread