It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
(female)

Heartsy HB User
Have never smoked but told that I have COPD

I am a 77 year old female. I have never smoked. I was married for 41 years when my husband died. I remarried three years after that and my second husband smoked for three years after we were married, then quit when he had a heart attack. We have been married 14 years. He and his first wife both smoked and always in this house, they had lived here for 30 years. I have not had this problem before.

I have had a light cough for a couple of years and did not think too much about it, some days I did not have it at all. For the past six months it has gotten worse but still not very bad. For the past month it continues to get worse and I have smothering spells occasionally. I am becoming more short of breath. when I wake up in the morning I have a slight headache.

I went to my primary doctor, since I was concerned about it. He listened to my chest and had me to cough and ordered a chest x-ray. The x-ray showed that I had a mild COPD. He did not do any other test. He gave me a Spiriva inhaler and said if it did not work he would try another one. He did not seem to be overly concerned about my condition. The Spiriva has not helped with my coughing at all, it only seems to make it worse.

Can COPD be diagnosed with just a chest x-ray and no other test? My shortness of breath is getting worse. Since I have researched COPD online I have become really concerned about my condition.

Can nicotine accumulate in a house and in the air ducts over a number of years. I am not around any other smokers at all. How could I have gotten even a mild COPD.

I know this is a lot of questions but I am really worried.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
(female)

kw2 HB User
Re: Have never smoked but told that I have COPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsy View Post
I am a 77 year old female. I have never smoked. I was married for 41 years when my husband died. I remarried three years after that and my second husband smoked for three years after we were married, then quit when he had a heart attack. We have been married 14 years. He and his first wife both smoked and always in this house, they had lived here for 30 years. I have not had this problem before.

I have had a light cough for a couple of years and did not think too much about it, some days I did not have it at all. For the past six months it has gotten worse but still not very bad. For the past month it continues to get worse and I have smothering spells occasionally. I am becoming more short of breath. when I wake up in the morning I have a slight headache.

I went to my primary doctor, since I was concerned about it. He listened to my chest and had me to cough and ordered a chest x-ray. The x-ray showed that I had a mild COPD. He did not do any other test. He gave me a Spiriva inhaler and said if it did not work he would try another one. He did not seem to be overly concerned about my condition. The Spiriva has not helped with my coughing at all, it only seems to make it worse.

Can COPD be diagnosed with just a chest x-ray and no other test? My shortness of breath is getting worse. Since I have researched COPD online I have become really concerned about my condition.

Can nicotine accumulate in a house and in the air ducts over a number of years. I am not around any other smokers at all. How could I have gotten even a mild COPD.

I know this is a lot of questions but I am really worried.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
(female)

kw2 HB User

No, u would need a pulmonary function test. Unless u had severe asthma throughout your life, highly unlikely. I think you need a sleep study for maybe sleep apnea, that is why u have morning headaches.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'd see a pulmonologist for a full work up and PFT....

Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
(female)

yorkiepoo HB User

I agree with them a pft and more work up needed,using predisone would help for a short term prescription,it opens up your lungs,good luck dear

Closed Thread