It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

rubyred716 HB User
Scared out of my mind

Hi everyone,

Well the past 3 months I've been getting shortness of breath, tightness, and chest pressure. My EKG came back normal, and so did my chest cat scan. I had an echocardiogram done on my heart, and the doctor told me it was good, but my lung pressure was high (38). He said high/normal is 30. Now he wants me to take a stress test, and right now I'm wearing a holter monitor. Im so scared, because he mentioned the word Pulmonary Hypertension & the lifespan isn't long. I'm only 25 years old, don't smoke, overweight but I'm currently losing. Im scared out of my mind right now

Old 02-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Scared out of my mind

Hi there Rubyred,

Hello, I am Janet and I am here to help you...I have recently been in a horrible accident where I broke 7 ribs and punctured my lung, and had very serious complications that left me in the hospital for 17 days, so I understand just how scary it is when you loose your breathing, Although I have other very serious medical issues, this is the first time dealing with shortness of breath and pain when breathing so I can really relate to your fear and anxiety over the possibility of a lung related illness.

I would like to encourage you to keep yourself as calm and relaxed as possible, for you haven't even found out what to expect yet. No matter what it ends up to be, allowing yourself to become really scared will always make things much worse. Al difficult as this may sound, it really is important to find some ways to calm yourself, everytime you feel that stress coming on. At your age, it is a good thing to have available to use for yourself all your life, as things will always come up that you need to calm yourself for.

typically the worst part of any illness is the anticipation that comes before you even know what is going on. Does that sound familiar?

First of all, it sounds as if you are in good hands and your doctor is doing all the right tests to diagnose your condition properly. The fact that your first tests have all come back either negative or slightly elevated (the lung pressure) are all good signs. Do not let yourself jump ahead before you know what is going on.

Considering your young age and your otherwise good health without any bad habits that would make everything worse, you are in good shaper. Even if you do have some form of respiratory illness, you are young, caught it early, and do not have years of bad lifestyle choices working against you, Your age is on your side for sure. There are so many great therapies available these days for your condition, whatever it turns out to be, that I imagine you will come out of it with flying colors.

Please calm yourself, and take one step at a time, ok? And let us know what you find out next, ok? Someone is always here to chat or to ease your nerves, ok?
Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
rubyred716 (02-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

rubyred716 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
Hi there Rubyred,

Hello, I am Janet and I am here to help you...I have recently been in a horrible accident where I broke 7 ribs and punctured my lung, and had very serious complications that left me in the hospital for 17 days, so I understand just how scary it is when you loose your breathing, Although I have other very serious medical issues, this is the first time dealing with shortness of breath and pain when breathing so I can really relate to your fear and anxiety over the possibility of a lung related illness.

I would like to encourage you to keep yourself as calm and relaxed as possible, for you haven't even found out what to expect yet. No matter what it ends up to be, allowing yourself to become really scared will always make things much worse. Al difficult as this may sound, it really is important to find some ways to calm yourself, everytime you feel that stress coming on. At your age, it is a good thing to have available to use for yourself all your life, as things will always come up that you need to calm yourself for.

typically the worst part of any illness is the anticipation that comes before you even know what is going on. Does that sound familiar?

First of all, it sounds as if you are in good hands and your doctor is doing all the right tests to diagnose your condition properly. The fact that your first tests have all come back either negative or slightly elevated (the lung pressure) are all good signs. Do not let yourself jump ahead before you know what is going on.

Considering your young age and your otherwise good health without any bad habits that would make everything worse, you are in good shaper. Even if you do have some form of respiratory illness, you are young, caught it early, and do not have years of bad lifestyle choices working against you, Your age is on your side for sure. There are so many great therapies available these days for your condition, whatever it turns out to be, that I imagine you will come out of it with flying colors.

Please calm yourself, and take one step at a time, ok? And let us know what you find out next, ok? Someone is always here to chat or to ease your nerves, ok?
Janet

well i went for a 2nd opinion a week later. did an EKG, regular stress test, and then an echo at rest. on the report, it said: normal pulmonary pressure, but when i asked the dr. what it was he said "normal." i then asked him what the number was and he said again "normal." i said well can u tell me the #? and he said "its under 25." i feel like he just said that to shut me up and its really not under 25. i feel like he just said that cuz he knows that i know that it should be under 25, so he just said that. i did a regular stress test where i just had to walk on the treadmill for like 6 minutes, and they did the ekg while i was on it, heart rate, blood pressure, and pulse ox. everything was good on that, oxygen stayed at 95, 98, 99, and 100. but next week im going to get a STRESS ECHO from the original dr. who said my pressure was a little high. the cardiologist i saw yesterday said he doesnt recommend anymore further visits with cardiologists and that im just "unconditioned." (out of shape). im still going to go next week for the stress echo. i dont think it would hurt. the cardiologist who said that my pressure was a little high, said my EJECTION FRACTION was 55%. the dr. i saw yesterday, on the report it says 60-65%. so idk how theyre both seeing different things.. idk whats right "

Old 02-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Darn,

I responded to your last post about the second opinion last night with a lengthy post, which apparently did not post correctly...I am sorry about that!

Let me see if I can touch on the major points again...

About your concern about the doctor just trying to blow you off by saying the number was under 25.. That would be highly unethical and I would doubt that was the case.

When it comes to various tests that doctors perform, there is typically a lab that compiles the date and returns a report for your doctor to interpret. He will use the data, plus your personal history and your age and condition to come up with your diagnosis. Many tests are very straightforward too, and do not require any interpretation. My suggestion to you, is to ask his office personnel to make you copies of your test results for you files. if there are many, there may be a small charge for copying them, but well worth it, for your own piece of mine and your records. I always get my records, as I compare them over the years to see my progress or decline. These reports can be very confusing, so it important to know what you are reading..

Many times, there are different scales that are used, which can account for the differing numbers for the same test. Also, on any given day you can test very differently due to many normal factors, so a range is typically used in determining if you are in the high, normal or low range. Differences of up to 20 pints or more in some cases can still be well within the range.

Some factors that can change your results are...what time of day, what you had to eat, or not ear..your blood pressure, your hydration level, your rest the night before, your heart rate, your immune system, many many things.

So, the fact that you may have had a range of 55% -65% is very typical.

While I think if you want to go ahead with the echo/stress test, by all means go for it...The more we know about our bodies, the better.

When you get results that you do not understand the doctor should go over them with you to explain everything you have questions about. Many folks come here for someone familiar with that particular test to help them read them. I your tests come from two different labs, the results will be different too.

I hope some of this helped you...and I hope you get all the answers you are looking for.

Janet

rubyred716 (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

OK, good ..I wanted to make sure it posted before I left.. Good luck and please feel free to post again..

rubyred716 (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

rubyred716 HB User

thanks janet,

its nice to have someone there for you and explain things easily so you understand its just weird how 1 day my pressure was 38 and a week later its under 25. but yes i will be going to do the stress echo next thursday. no harm in it, i will actually lose some calories on the treadmill! lol ... i will let you know how everything goes..

Old 02-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

My pleasure... I have been through my share of tests, and learned the hard way. Doctors can often forget how important these things are to us, and how confusing they can be.

Good luck on the echo, I will look forward to hearing back from you..

Janet

rubyred716 (02-12-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
(female)

yorkiepoo HB User

Have faith and allow god and prayer to lead you to your answer,he helped me a great deal,you will get thru it,if god brought you to it he will bring you thru it,,,,god bless

Old 02-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Just checking in on your Ruby. I hope your test went well, and things are looking good.

Closed Thread