It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
(female)

copdscared HB User
He almost died!

My 91-year-old father has COPD, and has had for many years. Recently, the docs gave him a nebulizer. (So far, he has only used inhalers). He has two different medications that he mixes together in his nebulizer: Acetyl Cysteine and Albuterol Sulfate. After his breathing treatment last night, his lungs seemed to lock up on him, and he could NOT breathe! He turned gray, his lips were blue, and it was terrifying for him (and for us as well, as you might be able to identify with this). He has always refused to have oxygen in the home, as he feels that is the last step before death. The problem was, we couldn't do anything to help him. My mom has sleep apnea, so I got out her Bi-PAP, and gave it to dad...the air it forced into his lungs, though not pure oxygen, seemed to really help him, and he soon returned to normal. My question is: What would cause such a reaction? Isn't the breathing treatment supposed to help do away with such things?

The following user gives a hug of support to copdscared:
yorkiepoo (02-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: He almost died!

Oh wow, how scary!
How long has he been using it?

I read that the Acetyl Cysteine is used to loosen mucous....could that be in part why he couldn't breathe...that it might have blocked his airway?

Was he coughing when he was using the nebulizer...I know sometimes it's difficult to get a breath in when I've been coughing, especially if I've been lying down or when sleeping and wake up coughing that triggers an asthma attack.

Is he using the mask or the mouth piece?

Was he laying down or sitting up?

I don't have experience with it, but I can relate to the possible reasons for having difficulty breathing.

Maybe your dad will see the benefit of using some oxygen before he uses the nebulizer?

q

Last edited by quincy; 02-22-2012 at 12:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
(female)

yorkiepoo HB User
Re: He almost died!

I use dou neb,its already mixed and also xoponex works good,im on oxygen for 4yrs now,and finally doing better ,3 breathing treatments a day,you will cough in the start of a treatment if you go to long in between the treatments it makes it more difficult to stop coughing,use inhaler first before treatment,and oxygen will help a great deal as well,good luck

Closed Thread