It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
(female)

bjsnover HB User
Paralized right diaphram

AA couple of weeks ago I was admitted to the hospital for cough and shortness of breath, fluid in lungs and possible conjestive heart failure. Durring test being done I was told I had a paralized right diaphram, I had a follow up dr appt the day after I was discharged this part I did not speak to the dr about this. A couple of days later I needed to go to er. A chest xray was done and they were going to do a chest ct but decided against when I told them about what the other doctors said it was paralized diaphram. I have no idea what this is. I need to know what this is all about. Any one know what treatment is for this or what can be done to cure the problem. I have been on MAYO, Jensen and other professional sites and I understand next to nothing with their very large words that is not used in everyday life. Please give me information in ordinary every day english. What is this, what can be expected to be the turn out and any thing you can think of. Thanks

Old 03-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Paralized right diaphram

Hi...I'm confused about whether you're going to be tested further regarding the reasons for the paralysed right diaphragm.

It seems , from what I've read, possible causes might be....central neurological disorders, spinal cord disorders, direct trauma to the phrenic nerve, autoimmune diseases, demyelinating diseases, neuropathy, viral or bacterial infections, and idiopathic (ie, unknown), etc.

You definitely need more tests to determine that, and maybe the CT scan or an MRI might be in order.

Will you be seeing a doctor again to continue finding a proper diagnosis?

I also read that, depending on the reason, a pacemaker can be put into place to help the diaphragm functioning.

I don't know much about it, but I did have a collapsed lung, and can imagine your discomfort.

q

Last edited by quincy; 03-20-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread