It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
(female)

wmn1120 HB User
Mom with COPD

Hi I am new here. Just looking for answers or maybe just needing to vent. My Mom was diagnosed with emphysema about 15years ago. She is now 72years old and I feel is starting to fade. =(

In the past 15years she has had her fair share of hospital stays and on the vent more times than i can count. Her most recent bout was about a month ago in February.

She was not feeling well diarrhea, vomiting, and back pain. My father decided she needed to get to the hospital and called the ambulance. She had Pneumonia. Right lobe Pneumonia which they thought was from her swallowing wrong. She declined fast and ended in ICU but came out better than ever.

She has been out since 2/25/12 and was doing well until yesterday. She has a fever and Vomiting. I feel she should go to the hospital as any bug(if that is what it is) can turn into something so quickly for her. Her nurse is coming today and hopefully will tell her the same.

Has anyone experienced this. I feel bad as her last trip to the hospital i thought was her last her sister even flew in from Scotland. I was preparing my self for her death. Now she was doing so good and now down again.

Idk what to think anymore. she seems to be getting sick so often now... I don't know what to think. my dad is convinced she is dying. Anyone out there been through this kind of thing? Thanks.

Wendy

The following user gives a hug of support to wmn1120:
RUFUS100 (03-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
(female)

Masoniceye1 HB User
Re: Mom with COPD

Dear,

I will try to make this brief, but expressive of my concern and sympathy. My mother also was recently (last week or thereabouts) diagnosed with satge 2 emphysema. Thankfully no cancer. She has been in denial for a number of years and would occasionally allude to possibly having a "touch" of emphysema. Frustratiing, at minimum. Now she has finally endured the exams, etc. and is fully diaghnosed with more than a "touch" of emphysema. For the first time she is taking this issue seriously. The more I read, the more concern and initial despair I feel. She is taking some well-needed measures to address the comfort issues such as repairing her central air conditioning, obtaining an air purifyer, etc. in addition to pool water walking. I recommended yoga-- gentle yoga-- because of the focus on breathing technique and opening the chest (this is tantamount in yoga-- and I am no health nut, be aware . . .). Additionally, some healthy diet changes and reduction in certain recreational poisons (scotch). And yes, the immunity to illness is diminished; her first hospitalization was last year for an unknown respiratory illness which I believe finally forced her to recognize the frailty of life. She is staying poitive, to the extrent possible, but I can sense her recognition of her own mortality. True, it is difficult to endure as a witness to what I understand to be a strong indicator of physical decline, however, realize that we are the witness, and not the victim at this point and support and understanding are undeniably essential to decelerate the inevitable. I wish you well and have prayers, thoughts, or whatever may be of value to you and your family. And of course, strength. I do wish you and you Mom comfort and endurance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
(female)

JennyGxx HB User
Re: Mom with COPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmn1120 View Post
Hi I am new here. Just looking for answers or maybe just needing to vent. My Mom was diagnosed with emphysema about 15years ago. She is now 72years old and I feel is starting to fade. =(

In the past 15years she has had her fair share of hospital stays and on the vent more times than i can count. Her most recent bout was about a month ago in February.

She was not feeling well diarrhea, vomiting, and back pain. My father decided she needed to get to the hospital and called the ambulance. She had Pneumonia. Right lobe Pneumonia which they thought was from her swallowing wrong. She declined fast and ended in ICU but came out better than ever.

She has been out since 2/25/12 and was doing well until yesterday. She has a fever and Vomiting. I feel she should go to the hospital as any bug(if that is what it is) can turn into something so quickly for her. Her nurse is coming today and hopefully will tell her the same.

Has anyone experienced this. I feel bad as her last trip to the hospital i thought was her last her sister even flew in from Scotland. I was preparing my self for her death. Now she was doing so good and now down again.

Idk what to think anymore. she seems to be getting sick so often now... I don't know what to think. my dad is convinced she is dying. Anyone out there been through this kind of thing? Thanks.

Wendy
Hiya, Firstly I am so so sorry to hear of your situation, a lot of people I think don't realise how horrible Emphysema is.

I am in a similar situation in some ways. My dad was diagnosed with the disease 5 or 6 years ago, however, neither or my parents told me about it until about a year and a half ago. His condition has majorly deteriorated since they told me, he has a nebuliser and oxygen at home now and needs them a lot. Sometimes he seems ok and other times he is so so ill, I couldn't count the ammount of hospital trips hes had in the last 6 month. He is still smoking though which does not help! My main worry is with the illness is not knowing whats going on, I know that Emphsema does not get better and that its progressive, particularly if the person still smokes, but I just don't know how much longer hes going to be around for (hes 62 now) ... sometimes I think hel be here another 10 years and other times I think its a matter of months :S its the worst feeling ever because I know I'll never stop wandering about it.

I really don't know about your mum though, is her breating horribly bad? How much can she get around now? ... I am sorry I don't really have any answers but am always here to talk if you need someone as I totally understand what a horrible situation you are in.

xxxx

Closed Thread