It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User
Wheezing when laying down?? Help!

Hi everyone.. I'm 28, female, non smoker. My yearly physical is coming up so I plan to ask my doctor about this but until then, just curious as to what this is. If I wake up in the middle of the night and get up to use the restroom or get up for the morning, I've noticed that the first deep breath I take has a little wheezing at the end of the deep breath, inhale only. I can't hear it, I just feel it and I assume it is wheezing. This has been happening for years really but now I'm finally curious. I've noticed that if I lay flat on my back for a few minutes and I take a deep breath, the same thing happens. It doesn't happen if I lay on my stomach or my side and doesn't happen during the day when I'm up and moving. It's really just my first breath after sleeping all night and if I lay on my back for awhile. Any idea what this could be??

Since I was little, I have always gotten terrible colds and have had LOTS of sinus problems. There is no such thing as "a little cold" for me.. my colds are always bad - tons of mucus, congestion, and I always lose my voice every single time. Mucinex is my best friend. I didn't know if this wheezing could be a result of that? Or allergy related? Or asthma? Or lung cancer??

I don't have any shortness of breath or coughing at all.

Last edited by CW1984; 04-18-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Wheezing when laying down?? Help!

Well, if it's been happening for years, and it's just first thing in the morning, it doesn't sound terribly serious.

It does sound like you have some sinus issues, and you might have allergies. It's worth getting tested, anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
(female)

lulunicole13 HB User

I have the exact same thing you have described. Only when laying on my back and upon my first deep breath. This maybe started for me about 6-7 months ago out of the blue, I was not sick or anything. I am 34, non smoker. It makes me nervous, and my primary Dr didnt have a clue and we ruled out asthma and allergies... What did your Dr say?

Old 06-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
(female)

lalav121 HB User

Hi! This is very interesting. I have been having this same issue for the last four years. I went to my PCP last year and she had no idea what it could be. We did a chest xray and it was normal. I recently went back to my pcp for a visit and she recommended I see a pulmonologist, which will be next week.
Just curious if you have had any luck with an explanation, or diagnosis...

Old 08-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
(female)

Reneeh13 HB User

I have had this for three years as well. For me it is when I am lying down and I inhale, it isn't something you can hear but feel. I have talked with a few people and they say it can be from acid reflux. I do suffer from indigestion so I have figured it is probably that. It almost feels like little bubbles moving inside.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
(female)

Bellamiax0x HB User

Hello all! I was just wondering if anyone had ever gotten a diagnosis on this? I too have had the same exact issues since I had my first child - 4 years ago now. I have been to pulmonologists and internists and I was told I have a SLIGHT asthma but nothing concerning - I've not had attacks or anything? Just curious as it's driving me nuts!

Thanks

Old 11-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

When I went for my yearly check up back in July, my doctor listened to my lungs and couldn't hear anything in my lungs. When I described what I experience, he did give me the name of a condition that occurs when you're lungs don't fill completely with air. Because mine happens after I've been laying down, he said when I breathe while laying down, I may not filling my lungs with air completely (taking shallow breaths) so when I get up and take the firsts couple of breaths, it makes that wheezing/stretching feeling in my lungs. Does that make sense?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
(female)

Reneeh13 HB User

I'm still experiencing this. Has anyone else been to the doctor to find out what could cause it? CW1984 - Do you still have this? Do you have it everytime you lay down or on and off?

Reply Reply