It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
(male)

Gumbyu HB User
Lung Nodule - 3.5mm

Well, sorry to repeat, but I went in for a abdominal/pelvic ct scan (contrast/no contrast) because I was having some pretty severe pains on my right flank... and like what seems to be many others, they came upon a 3.5mm nodule somewhere in/around my left lung. So, now I'm exteremly scared I have cancer... I have done my research over the last 24 hours, and obviously there is so much to be said out there. I have talked to my Dr. just yet (he hasnt called - I got the results from the lab myself). I'm assuming that if it was a really big deal they woulda called me by now.

Anyways, does anyone have any idea of what else it could be? Words of encouragement would be nice... They also found a small calcified scar, most likely from Valley Fever or TB a long time ago.

And no, the right side pain hasnt been diagnosed yet... all my other organs came back as 'normal'.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
(female)

chrimar HB User
Re: Lung Nodule - 3.5mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbyu View Post
Well, sorry to repeat, but I went in for a abdominal/pelvic ct scan (contrast/no contrast) because I was having some pretty severe pains on my right flank... and like what seems to be many others, they came upon a 3.5mm nodule somewhere in/around my left lung. So, now I'm exteremly scared I have cancer... I have done my research over the last 24 hours, and obviously there is so much to be said out there. I have talked to my Dr. just yet (he hasnt called - I got the results from the lab myself). I'm assuming that if it was a really big deal they woulda called me by now.

Anyways, does anyone have any idea of what else it could be? Words of encouragement would be nice... They also found a small calcified scar, most likely from Valley Fever or TB a long time ago.

And no, the right side pain hasnt been diagnosed yet... all my other organs came back as 'normal'.
Hi Gumbyu

I wouldn't worry too much. I have several nodules in my lungs which were found incidentally when I had a ct scan 2 years ago for other reasons (like you). They repeated the CT 6 months later and the nodules were unchanged. I have some calcifications other places (spleen) as well from some past infections. I suspect the nodules are also scar tissue related to that. If you smoke, you should see this as a wake up call and stop. If you have some type of respiratory symptoms, then get them checked out. Otherwise, just follow up on the nodule as the doctors recommend but in the mean time, live your life. Don't waste time worrying or reading a bunch of scary stuff on the internet.
Christine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
(male)

Gumbyu HB User

Hi Chrimar - yeah, I think the worry is the worst part to be honest. Smoking has stopped... I did hear back from the doctor though. He said, "Your CT scans came back normal, there was nothing found that would cause the pain on your right side. This is great news." What he didnt address was the nodule or the kidney stone on the left side. So, I sent him an email back asking for further 'review'.

The odd thing is that at times I feel short of breath, mostly when I am sitting or laying down for bed - but, I dont know if its anxiety problems (which I wasnt feeling until after I found out about the nodule... my brain again in overdrive? or if I am having respiratory issues....)

I guess what I am mostly afraid of is, if the Dr. says to wait for a couple of months and then get it re-ct'd, this stupid thing growing up and inviting family and friends over.... In addition to everything else, I dont have health insurance and am in the 'working-poor' economic class... argh.

Thanks for your kind words.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
(female)

AA79 HB User

from what I understand nodules that don't change seem to be pretty normal - what about nodules that grow? My CT scan detected a 4mm nodule 3 months ago - repeat scan shows it is now 6mm. How much of a concern should this be?

Reply Reply