It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
(female)

etg1002 HB User
Do I have pneumonia or worse?

I had pneumonia 4 years ago after accidentally inhaling wd40. I recently quit smoking and two weeks ago developed a sinus infection. Since, I've had a cough that won't go away and there is occasional faint pain in my upper back/collar bone when breathing. This happens often when I get sick. The pain happens occasionally. When I had pneumonia it was extremely painful. My chest also feels tight. I've been given avalox and an inhaler.

I am only in my twenties and am absolutely terrified that I've done permanent damage. Could I have lung cancer or COPD?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Do I have pneumonia or worse?

You might have mild pneumonia, or possibly bronchitis. In either case, the inhaler and antibiotics should help. If they don't, go back to the doctor.

It's very unlikely that you have cancer or COPD. Lung cancer is almost never seen among people under 40, even in lifelong heavy smokers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Do I have pneumonia or worse?

When you quit smoking the symptoms you describe are very common. Belive it or not, smoking opens the air pipes and helps you breath, once you stop your chest does fo tight. The cough comes from the hairs in your throut growing back. As for pneumonia, very unlikley indeed as the sysmptoms but certainlt the pain dont minic the classic signs.

Best advice i can give as a ex smoker. Give it a few more weeks and if your still the same see your doctor. COPD, no. Copd does not give pain and your to young to have that issue really. You could have a simple chest infection, but again you can never speculate on somthing like on a forum as their are so many things it can be and only listening to the lungs and having any tests will get to the route of the problem.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Closed Thread

Tags
copd, lung cancer, pneumonia