It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
(male)

charles4889 HB User
Arrow From Moderate to Severe Emphysema Last Month

Howdy,

Last month I was downgraded from Moderate to Severe COPD/Emphysema. Also, I've just been prescribed O2 therapy to boot. It's a bummer. I'm still employeed, and I finally have a job I really enjoy, but this O2 therapy (although desperately needed) is going to eventually put a strain on my employment situation. I'm only 60 years old, but I did smoke for over 40 years. I quit a few years ago; way, way after the damage was already done. I'm posting this introduction because I haven't seen any recent post regarding COPD/Emphysema on these boards....but I got it, and I'd like to talk. Is there anybody out there?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
(female)

friday49 HB Userfriday49 HB User
Re: From Moderate to Severe Emphysema Last Month

I'm here. I don't see many posts for mainly copd. I have been on 24 hr o2 for three years now. I stay active. And I go out and about. I applied for disability because when I was first sick I just couldn't do my job (I was a realtor.) I don't know what you do but there are many oxygen delivery systems out there to choose from. Especially if you have a desk job, the o2 might not be an obstacle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
(male)

charles4889 HB User

So, being on o2 therapy qualifies you for disability??

Last edited by Administrator; 06-18-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
(female)

No. Not being able to breathe qualifies you for disability. Breathing is a pretty essential part of living. (ha ha) But if you apply be sure to keep up with your pulmonary appointments.

are you on o2 yet?

You know there is also a "very severe" stage. I am trying to stay out of that one now. Exercise is very important.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
(male)

charles4889 HB User

Suppose to sleep with the canulla thingy. I have a convertor or whatever you call that machine that converts air to o2. They are also considering giving me a small tank for when I walk long distances.
You say excercise is real important, have you been prescribed a specific excercise regime, or do you just exercise as much as you can tolerate??

Last edited by Administrator; 06-18-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
(female)

Walking is the best exercise. I recently went through a pulmonary rehabilitation program that was excellent. Met three days a week for an hour of exercise each day and on one day an additional hour of education about some aspect of the disease.

The exercise regime covered both strength exercises (bicep curls, wall push ups, pretty normal stuff) and cardio. Started walking for 6 minutes without resting, then 9, then 11. and so on. I took it at INova in Fairfax VA. Excellent program. The cardio is important but the strength training is also important because the better shape the muscles are in, the less oxygen they need and the more available for you.

Getting the o2 with exercise figured out was one important thing I got from the rehab. Exercise with the O2 if you can work it out. I turn the O2 level up while I am exercising. I highly recommend the rehab-although I don't know if now is the time for you to go or not.

Another thing was understanding the meaning of all those breathing tests results.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-18-2012 at 10:23 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to friday49 For This Useful Post:
charles4889 (06-18-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
(female)

In the begining, before I had portable o2, I used one of those walkers that has a seat to do my walking with. I don't like using it obviously, but not exercising was killing me and making it harder and harder to breathe so I just sucked it up. Now I use it for my big tank. My little tank I use a small north face back pack. The back pack they sell made for them - just fell apart after about a month.

If you get portables, try to get an auto-fill system. Its an add-on to the top of the consentrator, what you call convertor, where you fill your tanks yourself. Rather than have to have them delivered.

The Following User Says Thank You to friday49 For This Useful Post:
charles4889 (06-18-2012)
Closed Thread