It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User
What would a CT scan of my lungs show if I'm not sick any more?

Is there any point in taking a CT scan when you're asymptomatic?

I've been very sick for the last three months with one respiratory problem after another. They thought I had asthma, but that came back negative, so last week they booked me in for some more tests. Since then I've made a rapid improvement in health. I went off my asthma meds and a lot of the symptoms went away immediately - it was the meds CAUSING at least some of them! Today I feel fine - I even walked a mile to run an errand (for the first time in 3 months) and I STILL feel fine at the end of it. I haven't been able to say that since Christmas! I tried to cancel the tests because I'm better, and the nurse didn't want to let me. Is there any REALLY any point in showing up on Monday and taking the test anyway? They were looking for signs of a blood clot, because it's quite possible I had one, but if I did it's gone now. Would there be any evidence on the scan if I HAD had one?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: What would a CT scan of my lungs show if I'm not sick any more?

Hey, glad you got some improvement!

If you've had a serious infection in your lungs, there will be some scarring visible. Also, certain types of infections leave cysts, even after they clear up symptom-wise. At this point, a PE is seriously unlikely.

You might as well go. Just make sure you get the lead shield over your pelvis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

John just found out that we have to pay $300 PLUS 20% of the cost. He's going to try to find out how much that actually is tomorrow... but most likely he'll be cancelling it for me. We can't afford that kind of expense unless it's life-or-death. If I was still so sick it would be one thing but as a 'just in case'? It's ridiculous - when I was talking to the nurse today I tried to get some idea of what we were on the hook for and she said 'your insurance approved it, they have to pay'. Even I knew that was totally wrong. Every test I've had has left us with a bill that our so-called 'good' insurance won't deign to cover.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

For that much money, if it were me, I wouldn't bother.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I would have the test regardless. It's a good baseline to make sure nothing else is going on....some things can give you symptoms and be in a remission for a while.

You were on meds, they hay have done their things...but it's best to do it now...my opinion...especially since the distress you had over being so sick.

It doesn't mean you don't have asthma...it could mean that the meds were working. They will have a cumulative effect.

Your decision ultimately, but if you get sick again, you'll want the test asap anyway.

q

Old 07-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

DH agreed with me that we should cancel it purely for the expense. If it was even a hundred bucks sure, we'd go ahead with it just to be on the safe side and see if there's any signs of scarring in there, but we might need that money for a REAL emergency. He wouldn't cancel the heart scan - he said that one's important.

I went shopping today for the first time in four months! I shopped for two hours, and then walked a mile home without a whisper of respiratory distress.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I hope you remain symptom free. But....if you do get them again, please don't wait too long to get it checked.

q

Reply Reply