It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
(male)

c0reyl HB User
Can't breathe in humidity?

Basically, I've had this issue all my life, and it was worse when I used to be obese, then I lost 70 pounds, gained muscle, and ended up going from 5'9" and about 215 pounds to 6' and 147 pounds. you might think I'm scrawny by my weight, but people think I weigh 180 or more by looking at me with a shirt on, because of a 27 inch waist, 42 inch chest, and arms the size of my neck. How can someone possibly ace any physical test required by marine bootcamp other than running long distance, and feel like they are obese by the way it feels to breathe?

I was never a really good runner, and asthma sucks, but I wouldn't say I'm out of shape if I can easily curl my own bodyweight with two hands, or throw my own bodyweight over my head, or if I can do 25 pull ups without much issues.

Recently, it's been 90-100% humidity, like all the time, every day, 80-100 degrees. It makes me feel like I'm all of a sudden obese again, like I have no strength left, and breathing is a huge task. sometimes I feel dizzy like I'm going to pass out just by walking up some stairs. Breathing feels like I'm breathing air 10-15 times heavier than it should be, almost like the air has weight of water itself, which makes me feel like I'm downing, in the air...

So, basically, no one is going to believe me anyway, and they will tell me I'm having a panic attack, or it's in my head, but I'm kind of sick of it, and having no AC at all in 90+degrees with pretty much 100% humidity is making me hate every second of the fact I have to breathe.

So basically, either I am retarded and it is in my head, or something is seriously wrong with me, because I shouldn't be able to do 25 pull ups (full, arm locked, not chin ups) or be able to throw my own bodyweight around like a rag doll, and be breathing like I'm some 400 pound morbidly obese person who sits on the couch and eats bon bons all day..

And, I look way more in shape than my lungs actually permit, and I can provide links to prove that, but if I did you'd think I was just trolling you..

Edit: oh and by the way, my blood oxygen is usually 99.8% normally, even when I'm feeling like I'm going to faint, it's at least 98-99%, my mom has a professional quality blood o2 sensor thing that reads your oxygen levels.

That makes even less sense...how could I possibly feel that bad, like I'm about to faint with a blood oxygen content that high??

Something that makes even less sense: I had 98% oxygen levels when I had walking pneumonia for a month and a half and started coughing up blood, and was coughing up teaspoons of fluid at a time. That shouldn't be even remotely possible..

Last edited by c0reyl; 07-20-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Can't breathe in humidity?

High humidity is a very common asthma trigger. So is cardiovascular exercise like running. Weight lifting is easier for people with asthma.

It could be a lung problem even if your O2 sats are high. In fact, usually O2 sats only drop with the most severe asthma attacks, like hospital bad.

The most accurate way to diagnose asthma is with something called spirometry, or lung function testing. The easiest way to tentatively diagnose asthma is to give a puff off an albuterol inhaler and see if it helps.

Walking pneumonia can cause lasting lung damage, which might be why you're having trouble now.

Go to a doctor, preferably a pulmonologist. Get tested, get meds. Try to stay cool.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
(female)

Nancycatxx HB User

New at message boards, sorry for mistakes.

Last edited by Nancycatxx; 09-16-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
(female)

Nancycatxx HB User

Hello cOreyl
I'm wondering if I should mention this or not, but I have the same "Heat/Humidity" issues.
But, I've also been diagnosed with COPD.
(about your Fingertip Pulse Oximeter. I've found they are not always accurate. Try several times at different times. Better yet go to the Dr and get a Spirometry test)

Reply Reply