It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
(male)

Brit1988 HB UserBrit1988 HB User
Wheeze, Cough & Lung/Throat Discomfort

I'd like any help or guidance you can provide to diagnose exactly what is going on with my lungs here. I saw my GP just a few days ago and was told everything is fine. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Background
A few months ago I had an anaphylactic shock experience with a nut allergy, it has been hard to get back to normality after that. It weakened my immune system and shortly after I contracted a really bad chest infection. The chest infection went undiagnosed for over a month and left me hyperventilating with tightness in my chest, dizziness and more. I saw three separate doctors before finally being diagnosed with a chest infection. An experience which really rocked my faith in GPs. I was never told whether it was bronchitis or pneumonia or what, but I know I never want to experience it again. I have never appreciated being able to breathe quite like I did after that was cleared up by antibiotics.

Symptoms
I have had many strange sensations coming from my chest throughout and since that experience, and though it feels the antibiotics got me 95% of the way back to normal there's still something not quite right in there. More recently (within the last month) I have experienced symptoms increasing in severity, many of which I have never had before in my life:
  • Feeling like my right lung is "loose" when I move. I often avoid fast movements because of this sensation and feel much more comfortable being sedentary.
  • Restricted breathing when leaning forwards or laying on my right side - a sensation always coming from the right lung region up in to my neck. Sometimes it's strong enough that it urges me to immediately stand straight back up, or roll over to the left side if leaning over or laying down respectively.
  • Strange sensation in my windpipe, as if it is scarred or something is abnormal in there. It's very hard to put this particular symptom in to words. But sometimes when I'm breathing it almost feels like it's "bubbling" in there too. But when anyone listens to my chest the breaths are smooth and clean.
  • Bad indigestion and my first experience of acid reflux.
  • Rare burning sensations that force me to stand up straight, coming from both the left and right side of my chest at different times.
  • Coughing far more frequently than is normal, but it's not an involuntary cough, I can consciously control it most of the time. It's not a "tickling" cough either, it's just the occasional light cough.
  • This week - coughing up greeny/yellow tinted phlegm
  • And lastly, this symptom cropped up only today and this is really the last straw which made me post. I developed a more involuntary cough and wheezing on exhale, especially if I emphasize strong deep breaths.

Other information
I had childhood asthma but have been reassured that this is not a re-occurrence of that.

I believe it may be linked to my work environment, as there is a lot of dust in and bacteria that could be barraging my lungs daily. It seems to worsen whenever I'm in the office for prolonged periods.

Edit: FYI I am a caucasian male otherwise in good health in my early 20s.

Last edited by Brit1988; 08-16-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Wheeze, Cough & Lung/Throat Discomfort

Actually, that sounds exactly like a reoccurrence of childhood asthma, triggered by your respiratory infection, with a side order of acid reflux.

Get to a pulmonologist or allergist. The sooner this is aggressively treated with inhaled steroids the better chance you have of your lungs going back to normal.

Also, deal with the reflux. It may have been triggered by all the coughing you've been dealing with lately. Unfortunately, antibiotics and even some asthma drugs and antihistamines can aggravate it.

Definitely, address the acid reflux, since that can also cause cough/breathing issues. Hopefully it's a temporary bout that will go away after a few weeks. Until then, no caffeine, alcohol, mint, or smoking. Eat lower fat foods, and do not overeat. If particular foods seem to trigger it, avoid them. Avoid lying down or bending over, and sit or stand up straight during and after meals. If this doesn't help, try medicines for acid reflux.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
(male)

Thanks Jane. I'm pretty sure diet isn't the issue, as I've been studying it constantly since my case of anaphylaxis. I now mostly eat rice, chicken, and plenty of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Most of the time I drink water or fruit juice with a meal and I don't smoke or drink much alcohol beyond the occasional glass of red wine. It's a cup of green tea as I write this.

So I'm being very sensible! You could say square. But I'm taking my health very seriously since going through these experiences and want to avoid a recurrence of any of it if possible.

I recall your name from one of my earlier threads on these boards. Thanks for serving this community so well, you have made me feel a lot better and I hope knowing that helps you feel better too!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Believe it or not, raw veggies are actually a reflux trigger for some people. Broccoli and cauliflower are particularly difficult to digest. Of course, some people find the opposite. It's really about trial and error.

I'm glad I could help you. I remember how freaked I was when I was first diagnosed with asthma a few years ago. I'm doing a lot better now, though.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
(male)

Interesting. I notice you said raw veggies, do you mean literally raw? Because I usually boil them until they are a bit softer. On rare occasions I do steam them though, and then they are quite a bit tougher (to chew and digest no doubt).

There probably are too many grains and dairy products in my diet at this point, and I've read that could be a bad thing for this sort of problem. It's milk and oats for breakfast, wholegrain pitta breads for lunch etc. The first half of the day is often almost exclusively grains.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Some folks with acid reflux find that grains are the easiest, most soothing thing to eat, and that some veggies can set it off. (Raw is harsher than cooked, but even cooked veggies give your digestion a workout.)

Others find that grains are a trigger, and that simple meals of veggies and small quantities of lean meat are the best diet. It's really an individual thing, and you just have to experiment and see what foods you tolerate best.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
(male)

My GP (seems to be a different person every time I go there) prescribed me Naproxen 500mg tablets. She thinks it may be inflammation of my right lung causing the sensations of looseness and pressure etc.

She didn't want to refer me for a chest x-ray since I had one in April for the last string of respiratory issues and it was clean. So instead she wants me to take these for 2 weeks and see if it reduces the symptoms.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your GI prescribed Naproxen to a person with known upper GI issues and possible asthma? That's...odd. There is a possibility of it doing further damage to your stomach, it certainly hurt mine. Also, in some people, it makes asthma worse.

Is there any way you can get to a doctor who has more experience with lung problems?

Reply Reply