HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lung-respiratory-disorders-copd/)
-   -   trouble getting a deep breath (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lung-respiratory-disorders-copd/926282-trouble-getting-deep-breath.html)

LoveMyGirls1203 11-05-2012 10:07 PM

trouble getting a deep breath

Hey all, Ive had this problem for a while now. I feel like I can never get a full deep breath in. I always have to yawn in order to fill as though I took a satisfied filling breath. Ive done breathing tests and everything came back clean. No asthma, nothing. I am anemic I kbow that much my leves are usually between 8-10. Im not quite sure what's going on my Oxygen leves are always 100% as well. Occasionally my shoulder hurts when I beeath in as well while im standing up. Any ideas. Or advice would be appreciated.

catherin123 11-05-2012 10:46 PM

Re: trouble getting a deep breath

Hi
You had better consult a doctor immediately.
Thanks.

Titchou 11-06-2012 04:54 AM

Did you see a pulmonologist? If not, I strongly suggest that you do.

MissMariebee 11-29-2012 10:51 AM

This happens to me often.

I'm 33, healthy, workout semi-regularly. I used to get frequent anxiety and because of that I still can't handle any caffeine. I also notice get short of breath when I gain a few pounds, or when I eat too much.

But sometimes, like now, for no reason at all it's nearly impossible to get a deep breath. (I'm down a few pounds and didn't even overeat on Thanksgiving!)

I used to go to the chiropractor because I'd have ribs out of alignment, that would make the breathing better. But now if I do pilates and stretch 2-3 days a week it goes away. I was running 3 days a week and doing pilates on my off days and I felt AMAZING! But I've stopped because of the holiday schedule so I'm hoping that's what it is now.

whimgirl 11-18-2013 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=LoveMyGirls1203;5084267]Hey all, Ive had this problem for a while now. I feel like I can never get a full deep breath in. I always have to yawn in order to fill as though I took a satisfied filling breath. Ive done breathing tests and everything came back clean. No asthma, nothing. I am anemic I kbow that much my leves are usually between 8-10. Im not quite sure what's going on my Oxygen leves are always 100% as well. Occasionally my shoulder hurts when I beeath in as well while im standing up. Any ideas. Or advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]
did you ever get it checked out? I have the exact same thing!!!! I stopped caffeine (de-caf coffee & any chocolate). - it's helped. Would love to know what your outcome was!!!

ibuk27 12-20-2013 05:10 PM

I know exactly how you feel. From what I researched, this is usually diagnosed as "chronic hyperventilation syndrome" (CHS) its symptoms being things like air hunger, constant yawning, chest disconfort, anxiety...

I've struggled with CHS for some years and I may now say I overcomed the problem. IT IS possible! There is a great post on the board called "Help for people with hyperventilation syndrome!" (search it) which presents a great method to tackle this.

Simply put, your anxiety is making your body breath more than it needs. At first, I didn't even notice I suffered from anxiety. With hindsight, I'm positive that was the cause.

Everyday, take some minutes for yourself. Lay down and breath slowly in and out. The key point is to make your exhalations longer than your inhalations. This way you are telling your body it's ok to exhale slowly, instead of grasping for the next lump of air immediatly. Try to do this everyday for 15 minutes (see the post I mentioned for specifics).

As days go by, you will feel more and more confortable breathing. Just be patient and disciplined. The ideia is to relax during these 15minutes, focusing only on your breathing. You can also see this as a sort of meditation (on an extra note for all people out there struggling with anxiety/depression: i've been practicing buddhist meditation for some months and my anxiety is almost gone!)

Good luck!