HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lung-respiratory-disorders-copd/)
-   -   been sick for almost a month, need to sleep! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lung-respiratory-disorders-copd/932038-been-sick-almost-month-need-sleep.html)

hollygirl05 12-17-2012 10:01 AM

been sick for almost a month, need to sleep!

Hi, November 22 I started having a cough, the 1st few days was just a little cough, with in that week I started coughing really hard and alot throughout the day and night. I thought maybe it was a 48 hour bug so I waited, then started taking musinex which didn't help, then I started taking dayquil during the day and nyquil before I went to bed thinking it would help me sleep, I still woke up 2-3 times a night coughing, kept waking my husband up all hours of the night, he finally talked me into going to the doctor a week ago, the doctor said I have bronchits probably caused the the walking pnemonia bug, she gave an antibiotic and a cough medicine that is a little pill, she said if I still have it after my antibiotics are gone, to come back and will get a chest x ray to find out whats going on. its going on 6 days since I started my meds and I am still coughing all day, the right side of my upper back and shoulder is hurting, chest feels tight and a little wheezy, when I cough, I cough alot of clear thick and sticky mucus, I even choke on it at times. I cough so hard sometimes, I end up vomitting too, but not all the time. I don't have a runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes or anything like that. I feel alot of these symptoms could be that I'm so exhausted, I have not had a full or good night sleep before all this started, I'm just wondering if there is an OTC med I could take to help me sleep, I even tried tylenol pm. I have been getting weak in my legs as well, thanks for any advice!

kate502 12-17-2012 06:46 PM

Re: been sick for almost a month, need to sleep!

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried visiting Chinese doctor for herbal tea? I had a terrible cough last year and I've been taking medicine for a month and it didn't help. I finally went to see a Chinese doctor and he got me herbal tea to boil and drink for three days. Immediately after three days, the coughing is gone. Maybe you should give it a try.

BillyBob2007 01-15-2013 07:52 PM

There are many home remedies that can give you relief. Myself, when I start getting weak and down and have breathing problems I load up on vitamins, supplements, and expectorants. There is a host of information on these boards that deal with your symptoms. Antibiotics, IMO, are okay but they can be deleterious to the normal bacteria flora in the stomach & intestines and result in weakening your body's ability to heal itself. I tend to approach an illness by strengthening the body's ability to overcome the ailments. Too, I'll keep a record of everything going on with my body to discuss with my doctor. Meds can definitely be good but if they're not helping then I question whether or not they may be hurting the situation.

nana b 01-29-2013 10:44 PM

I have some of your same symptoms I would insist the Dr do cat scan ( which I was just recently told) tells best if you have pneumonia . With so many bugs around this year you need to get it knocked out.