It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
(female)

Ciarahq HB User
Unhappy SP Panic

Hi

Mine is a bit of a long story, I've had asthma for 18years (I'm 21 now) not as bad as to be frequently hospitalized but I always have to have an inhaler handy. At the start of October I was diagnosed with tonsilitis and was put on penacillin. By mid October it had moved to my chest and I was treated for a chest infection and also for Pluresy because I had crippling chest pains on my left side. By mid November the chest pains were back combined with really bad shortness of breath and a bubbling or popping sound at the base of my left lung. I was worried that it had developed into pneumonia so I brought myself to a&e (i was in college and too far from my gp). after waiting for 5 hours i saw a doctor who, after 2 ecg and no chest x-ray told me that i had inflammation of the cartalage around my lung, that she didnt know what the popping was so it must be mee hearing my stomach and to take it easy for a few weeks.

I continued going to college under the impression that the pain was inflammation and i was over doing it for 12 days, then it started to get really bad so i went to the doctors under the impression i would get some anti inflammatories and I had no air flow in my left lung, my gp presumed a clot and sent me straight to hospital where i was diagnosed with a 75-80% sponanious pnumothorax. I had a chest drain inserted for a week (3 days sucton) and then was monitored for 2 days before being sent home.

i have been home for a week now and i am worried because i have a slight wheeze in my left lung (worried because i was in a ward with a woman with a chest infection) and a still have a lot of pain around the base of my lung especially if i deep breathe.

also my drain site wound is taking a while to heal, its under my left arm about breast level. what is average healing time?

thanks in advance for any replies

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
(female)

alabama22 HB User
Re: SP Panic

Hi! I am so sorry what you are going through! I had almost the exact same thing happen a year ago. I had never had asthma or any other problems before. I did smoke (which I quit and NEVER smoked another one after getting out of the hospital). I had a really bad sinus infection and bronchitis, and then woke up then next morning with chest pain. Long story short, went back to the Dr., who said I had inflamed chest muscles. It did feel better after a few weeks. Then, a month later, I was stretching and my chest went stiff, started coughing and all of that like crazy. This time I could really feel something moving in my chest. Went back to the Dr. the next day, and same thing again, inflamed chest muscles. I was told to come back for a check-up 6 days later, and I told them I could still feel something moving in there. They then sent me for a CT, and after that I was in the hospital with a chest tube. It took me a long time to actually not feel anything, and I still get pains! I know that sounds crazy, but apparently those chest tubes can do some nerve damage. The worst part about it is the anxiety of it happening again!!! But, I think most people have that for a long time, because once you've had a chest tube, you do not want another one for sure!!! I promise that you will get better though : ) It's just a lengthy process. But, I always have peace of mind knowing that it is something that can be fixed. Good luck and I will be glad to chat anytime!!

Reply Reply

Tags
asthma, pain, pneumothorax, respiratory illnesses, wound