It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
(female)

freckleface1 HB User
Question Oxygen verses Advair

My ex husband has COPD and has been on Advair and Spiriva for several years. His breathing is getting worse and I told him he might have to get on Oxygen. He said Oxygen is bad for you because it hardens your lungs. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 01-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
(female)

friday49 HB Userfriday49 HB User
Re: Oxygen verses Advair

Don't know about whether it hardens them or not, but having the right portable oxygen set up has helped me get around. Have to get over the embarassment of wearing it but its better than melting away in a chair at home. Best thing I ever did was go to a pulmonary rehab and start exercising. Get a professional to tell him what will help him get around! There is more life out there, the journey has just changed up a little.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
(female)

freckleface1 HB User
Re: Oxygen verses Advair

Appreciate your encouraging response. Will surely let him know that Oxygen may seem the better route to take even though it may be embarrasing to him. I will let him know about your response and it will sure make him feel better hearing what you have to say. Thank you and God Bless.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
(male)

BillyBob1 HB User
Smile Re: Oxygen verses Advair

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckleface1 View Post
My ex husband has COPD and has been on Advair and Spiriva for several years. His breathing is getting worse and I told him he might have to get on Oxygen. He said Oxygen is bad for you because it hardens your lungs. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Wow! I have never heard that FreckleFace. I wonder how true that is. It would seem to me though that oxygen would be less harmful (and more natural) than those medications he is taking for relief. I am pretty new to all this though. So certainly not an authority.

I have been using Spiriva recently, in addition to Albuterol, and while Albuterol is quite helpful, I have yet to see any notable positive effects from Spiriva. I have oxygen too, but rarely use it, as it doesn't really seem to help much. I have no experience with Advair though.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
(female)

freckleface1 HB User
Wink Re: Oxygen verses Advair

I really think that he is making excuses for being on oxygen! Haven't got around to looking this up. Thank you for your response. Will let him know about your circumstances and knowledge of this.

Reply Reply