It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
(female)

Nancycatxx HB User
Unhappy Diagnosed with COPD about 2 yrs ago/still smoking

I've been on oxygen for the last 6 months 24/7. Before that I just used it at night, and before that, just when I thought I needed to.
I have good days and I have bad ones.
My primary grief is I have been unable to quit smoking. Oh sure, I've slowed it down tremendously but I have to quit. I've tried everything!
If you have any ideas, please let me know.
I can use all the help I can get. I'm also with a stop smoking group, but that hasn't seemed to help either.
Thanks to all.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
(female)

pegkro HB Userpegkro HB Userpegkro HB User
Thumbs up Re: Diagnosed with COPD about 2 yrs ago/still smoking

I was a heavy smoker, 2 pks a day. I started to draw the smoke into my mouth, but not inhale the smoke on every few puffs. I put the cigarette out when I was down to 2/3's of the cigarette. At the same time, I started to cut back on the number of cigs I smoked each day. I then started to stop inhaling all together. I still absorbed some of the nicotine through my mouth, but a whole lot less than when inhaling. At the end of 6 months, I stopped, and although, to this day, I still love the smell of fresh cigarette smoke, I don't crave a cigarette. When I first stopped, I did reach for the pack of cigs, and found that it was more out of repeated behavior, than the actual need for a cigarette. I hope this helps you. I empathize, as I know just what you are going through. Keep on trying, and don't give up. I'll pray for you. God Bless and good luck. Peggy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
(female)

copinginseattle HB User
Re: Diagnosed with COPD about 2 yrs ago/still smoking

I don't smoke so I can only offer suggestions, plus a perspective from a daughter watching her mother die of COPD and refusing to stop smoking.

Talk with your doctor. She can prescribe medication to help you stop. Patches also.

The medications and patches can help address the addiction and cravings. To address the "habit" of quitting - such as lighting up after a meal, lighting up when you get in the car, etc -- you could try the electronic smokeless cigarattes or even use a straw in place of the cigarette. My grandfather had enough self-discipline to keep a cigarette in his pocket and when he felt the habit too strong to ignore he would put the UNLIT cigarette in his mouth and draw air through it. I guess the taste of the cigarette and action of having it in his mouth or hands was enough.

My mother has COPD and refuses to quit smoking. She has tried and failed and now refuses to try again. It is heart breaking to watch her kill herself.

By quitting smoking you have the OPPORTUNITY to pause the COPD and perhaps it will not get worse. However, if you do not quit smoking it WILL get worse. But I am sure the doctors have told you all that.

Best of luck.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #4
(female)

Finest1104 HB User

Have you considered the electronic cigs? They have regular tobacco and menthol flavors. Contains nicotine... but without the ash, smoke & smell! I would recommend the BluCig disposable ones. Have tried different brands and this one has the thickest vapor, better taste. Other ones make your throat feel dry. Another plus is that it lasts as long as 3 packs would! Good luck.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
(female)

Gizmo1248 HB User

My last cig. was 9/27/11, the morning of my lung biopsy. Yes, I had lung cancer. Cancer is gone, but I have severe COPD. My COPD went from mild, before the surgery, to severe about 4 months after the surgery. Oh, I still dream of smoking, but I know that I would not be able to inhale even if I wanted to. Please. put the cig's. down and grab for a nicorette lozenze instead. It's hard, so very hard to quit, but don't become me. I cant' walk to my car with out getting out of breath. I take a shower once a week because it is so difficult to breath. Getting dressed is a nightmare sometimes. Don't let your life come like mine. You CAN do it. Take a deep breath, remember what that feels like, and throw the cigs. away. My prayers are with you. Good Luck!

Old 03-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
(female)

Nancycatxx HB User
Unhappy Re: Diagnosed with COPD about 2 yrs ago/still smoking

I want to thank you all for the great ideas and words of encouragement.
I have started using the electronic cig. It really seems to be working.. I still cheat now and then, but only like one or two puffs of a real cigarette a day, so I believe here in the near future I'll be able to quit for good.
Thanks again to all of you.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancycatxx View Post
I've been on oxygen for the last 6 months 24/7. Before that I just used it at night, and before that, just when I thought I needed to.
I have good days and I have bad ones.
My primary grief is I have been unable to quit smoking. Oh sure, I've slowed it down tremendously but I have to quit. I've tried everything!
If you have any ideas, please let me know.
I can use all the help I can get. I'm also with a stop smoking group, but that hasn't seemed to help either.
Thanks to all.
Do you have a problem of exhaling the smoke, I seem to have to force it out or otherwise I seem to swallow it. And it difficult for me to talk feel like I don't have enough breath to complete a sentence. Do you have similar problems? How were you dx ? Thanks terlin

Old 09-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
(female)

Nancycatxx HB User

Yes, I do have a problem exhaling smoke. It is very hard to breathe without the oxygen now. (my original post was Sept 12th) So you can see, I haven't quit smoking entirely yet. I'm down to "nursing" ONE cig a day tho.
Can't do a whole lot without getting exhausted or tired. So the COPD is still progressing. I'm at a loss as to how to actually quit smoking. I have tried the electronic cigs. They are what got me to at least curb my smoking.
If you're like me at all. I found I wanted a cig when I was bored SO FIND SOMETHING TO DO WITH YOUR HANDS. Also sucking on hard candy or eating fruit or something small (healthy foods) will help with the sucking sensation you get with cigs. I don't mean to sound like I'm joking around..I'M NOT. Your mouth and hands are your worst enemies when trying to quit. Keep them busy!

Old 09-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
(female)

Nancycatxx HB User
Lightbulb Re: Diagnosed with COPD about 2 yrs ago/still smoking

Yes, I do have a problem exhaling smoke. It is very hard to breathe without the oxygen now. (my original post was Sept 12th) So you can see, I haven't quit smoking entirely yet. I'm down to "nursing" ONE cig a day tho.
Can't do a whole lot without getting exhausted or tired. So the COPD is still progressing. I'm at a loss as to how to actually quit smoking. I have tried the electronic cigs. They are what got me to at least curb my smoking.
If you're like me at all. I found I wanted a cig when I was bored SO FIND SOMETHING TO DO WITH YOUR HANDS. Also sucking on hard candy or eating fruit or something small (healthy foods) will help with the sucking sensation you get with cigs. I don't mean to sound like I'm joking around..I'M NOT. Your mouth and hands are your worst enemies when trying to quit. Keep them busy!

Reply Reply