It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
(female)

Queen68 HB User
COPD and surgery

My father in law has COPD and was diagnosed 6 years ago. He was a three pack a day smoker for 30 years and quit and then recently started smoking again. He found out he has a hernia caused by the COPD. He has to have surgery and we are nervous about the anesthesia and his COPD. He is not on oxygen but uses inhaler and nebulizer daily. Has anyone had surgery while having COPD or know anyone that has.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: COPD and surgery

I don't have COPD, but I do have some severe asthma with multiple inhalers and a nebulizer. I worried about surgery as well. I've had 2 in the last year that involved intubation. I chose to go see my primary care doc and Pulmonologist for testing prior to surgery. I also talked to the surgeon in advance and the surgical center in advance to ensure everything would be OK. They reviewed the information from my testing.

Has your father-in-law, spoken to the surgeon about his concerns?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
(female)

Queen68 HB User

His pulmonary dr that he has been seeing for 7 years is issuing a letter saying he is cleared for surgery. We are seeing a cardiologist on Monday and the surgeon on Wednesday. He has not had surgery since he was a child and back then they used ether. So he is worried and so are we. But I guess with every surgery there are risks. I am hoping with all the drs checking things out he will be in good hands. Is there any specific questions you can think of for us to ask the surgeon? Did you have any complications?

The following user gives a hug of support to Queen68:
MountainReader (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I always tell the anesthesiologist exactly what my concerns are. They usually come talk to you before the surgery. They should be able to answer all of your concerns and should have already looked at his health history before coming to see him.

You should make sure to ask the surgeon about what medications he should take on the day of the surgery. Ask about after surgery care plans as well.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
(female)

Queen68 HB User

He just went and saw the surgeon and he recommended twilight sedation so he would not have the breathing tube. He is also seeing the cardiologist for a stress test tomorrow

Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Thanks for the update. It sounds like they are going to take good care of him.

I wish him well.

Reply Reply