It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

wertzy HB User
MAC Treatment Options

My mother was diagnosed with MAC before the holidays. At her first appointment in February, she was given the 3-drug regiment. Her very first day, was so sick - happen to be weekend - she was sick for several days afternwards. The doctor took her off the meds and suggested she wait two weeks to re-start the R drug. Her digestive system could not take the meds. She is very tired and weak. We live in Raleigh-Durham area, so I feel there are excellent doctors. I know she is not the only one who is experiencing these side effects. Are there other treatment options. She is 78 years old - long hisotry of asthma and has bronch .... (something)

Old 02-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
(female)

pegkro HB Userpegkro HB Userpegkro HB User
Re: MAC Treatment Options

I had MAC when I was 65, and I didn't think that I would ever survive the disease. I was on a total of 3 antibiotics, totalling 2400 mg. a day. I took the least dosage in the morning. I ate what sounded good to me, sometimes, only chicken soup and crackers. The highest dose med, I took at night, before bedtime. I also took probiotics, which helpped with my intestinal bacteria. I took Sunday off, and took no drugs that day. I lost alot of weight in the first few months, but slowly started feeling better. It is a bad disease, and will keep you and your mom in my prayers. I can tell you that if she can only take one antibiotic on one day, the next, the next day, and the third, the next, then at least she has a chance to beat the MAC. Good luck, and God Bless you for being there for your mom. Peggy

The Following User Says Thank You to pegkro For This Useful Post:
wertzy (02-18-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
(female)

wertzy HB User

Thanks, Peggy, for your reply. Do you recall the name of the probiotic you used? On another website, it was suggested that jarro-dophilus EPS was a good probiotic - the MAC-specialty hospital in Denver had suggested that to a patient. I am not familiar with probiotics, but actually saw some bottles in the grocery store tonight. Once you were on the 3-pill regimen, how long did it take for you to start feeling better?

Thanks,
MC

Old 02-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
(female)

The probiotic was Acidophilus, with pectin. I still take it from time to time, to help with bowel regulation, as I don't always eat what nutritionists call a balanced diet. It took almost 8 months, before I started feeling and breathing better. I was on O2 during that time, but I haven't needed it for over 4 years now. I was on the antibiotics for 18 months, but I have been MAC free ever since then. Again, I keep you and yours in my prayers, and God Bless. Peggy

Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
(female)

wertzy HB User

Again, thanks. Tomorrow morning we are starting the drug R (can't remember the name). We will see how that drug works in my mom's system. Then, we start another in two weeks. We are hopeful that building with one drug at a time will help her system to tolerate - at least it will let us know which drug is causing the extreme nausea. Let me know if you have any other medical tips - we are very appreciative.

MC

Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wertzy View Post
Again, thanks. Tomorrow morning we are starting the drug R (can't remember the name). We will see how that drug works in my mom's system. Then, we start another in two weeks. We are hopeful that building with one drug at a time will help her system to tolerate - at least it will let us know which drug is causing the extreme nausea. Let me know if you have any other medical tips - we are very appreciative.

MC
Is it rifaxin? I took that one after I ate something, even if it was just crackers and peanut butter. Tell mom that whatever sounds good to her, to eat it, no matter if it isn't one of the "building blocks", as long as there is something going into the stomach. Chicken noodle soup is another one that she might find works. If you have any questions, just ask, and if I can, I'll answer them for you. Keeping you and yours in my prayers. God Bless. Peggy

Reply Reply