It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
(female)

reag HB User
lobulated and ground glass nodules...

Hi.
Does anyone know what a lobulated nodule is? My mom's CT scan showed a lobulated nodule in her right lung base. It also showed an 8mm ground glass nodule in her right apex. What does this mean???

Old 03-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: lobulated and ground glass nodules...

From what I read the ground glass nodule could mean cancer, inflammation or infection. Some do a wait and see with regular scans, some do needle biopsy. Not all needle biopsies get cells to determine what's going on.

The lobulated nodule means theres many lobes/sections compiled together creating the nodule, and many times can mean cancer.

Again, this is from what I read.

does your mom want you to be involved with her appointments/info seeking, or is this for you only?

I suggest you go on the lung cancer forum, ask many questions there and compile a list for yourself and your mom to get the answers needed for her required care.

I wasn't involved in much of my mom's situation regarding her lung cancer, but she did put off seeking answers for her many years of coughing, discomfort, etc. because of fear and denial (she smoked almost her whole lifetime).
Today, it's a completely different world regarding access to information.

q

Last edited by quincy; 03-18-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
(female)

reag HB User

Hi Quincy.

Thank you for your reply.

I am extremely involved in my mom's healthcare. She actually looks up to me for advice once we have seen her doctors, etc.

My mom did have a Chest CT in January that showed an 8 mm ground glass nodule in the right apex. The CT scan also showed a lobulated nodule in the right lung base. I pushed her pulmonary Dr for a Pet CT scan. She had Pet CT scan done in February (4 weeks after CT scan). The 8mm nodule lit up on Pet CT with SUV of 2.3 and the lobulated nodule at base of lung was not clearly visible on the Pet CT. Not sure why it wasn't clearly visible??? My mom has a past history of MAC infection so her pulmonary doctor is saying the nodules are inflamatory and wants to repeat chest CT in 3 months (April). I am not too happy with this...and the reason is because my mom has hepatocellular carcinoma (primary liver cancer). My biggest fear is that these nodules are due to metastasize from the liver cancer. Don't you think my anxiety, fear and stress make sense?

The following user gives a hug of support to reag:
quincy (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

To put it mildly....your anxiety/fears/stress would be totally normal! I'm sure the doctors do understand that as well. It's sad to hear your mom is having to deal with cancer...it's wonderful that you're such a good support and taking some of the distress of dealing with the doctors and doing the research to get more answers.

I've read that with some tests that some nodules don't show, but on others they do. Is an MRI possible for her to have?

I think asking your doctor about the possibility of it being metastasised from the liver...and which one would be more likely.

Is your mom on chemo at this point? did she have surgery?

I hope you as well have supports from other family and friends...
q

Reply Reply