It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
(female)

Lauren116 HB User
Pluerisy????

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same kind of pain. This morning I woke up and after breathing in I got this sharp stabbing pain in the middle of my chest. It look my breath away and I thought it would stop but it has been happening all day. I have bad reflux and took Prevacid and gas pills but nothing is helping. I don't really have any other symptoms except this stabbing pain which is freaking me out because when it comes it goes into my upper back also. It also hurts my upper left back when I blow my nose. Of course I goggled it too which doesn't help. Hopefully it's better by tomorrow. Any thoughts??? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Pluerisy????

Sounds like possible pleurisy, but could also be coming from the pericardium (sac around heart). Most cases of pleurisy are benign and self limited, often following a respiratory infection like a cold. But there are serious reasons for pleurisy too, so it's best to get it checked out. If you feel it can wait until tomorrow AM when your Dr's office is open, you could apply a heating pad to chest and take an anti-inflammatory. If your pain is worsening or accompanied by shortness of breath, fast heartrate, extreme weakness, dizziness, you'd be wise to get checked in an ER.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
(female)

Lauren116 HB User
Thank u! Are their any other way to get Pleurisy? I haven't been sick and this literally just started when I woke up this morning?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Pleurisy can come from smoking, pneumonia, blood clots in lungs, inflammation of the pleura from autoimmune disease, and sometimes it just happens for no apparent reason. It can last a few days, but usually responds to antiinflammatories unless there is a more serious underlying condition.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
(female)

Lauren116 HB User
Thank u! Ill try some medicine because I don't smoke and have none of the other things u spoke
Of!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
(female)

Lauren116 HB User
Ok so the pain in my chest went away but my back is killing me! It's my upper back and it feels like I worked out for a week and pulled a muscle. I tried aspirin and naproxen and it gets a little better but doesn't go away. Ugh

Old 05-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think taking the naproxen regularly, twice a day, will help the most. You may be feeling some residual pleurisy in your back, as it can be felt front or back or both. It is an inflammation of pleura, so the anti-inflammatory agents treat the cause of the pain.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:31 AM   #8
(female)

Lauren116 HB User
Thank you so much for your help!!

Old 05-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

Pleurisy usually develops after or with a respiratory infection... but you could have costochondritis - an inflammation of the little muscles in your ribcage. It's very painful to breathe deeply and expand your chest. The pain can wrap right around to the back or be in the front center of your chest. It can feel like a heart attack, but it's actually on the outside of your body so it's benign, just horribly painful. Anti-inflammatories and heat can help relax the muscles and reduce the inflammation, and your doc can prescribe something a bit stronger if the OTC stuff doesn't work.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
(female)

Lauren116 HB User
Thank you kaji! I'm more inclined to believe that it may be that since I have not had any respiratory infections recently. I have been taking naproxen the past two days and that has been helping immensely. Thanks all!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

If it hurts too bad, doesn't improve, or you have any symptoms that might come from your heart or lungs, make sure you go to the doctor or hospital just to be sure that you're okay...

Old 05-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

You can determine costochondritis from pleurisy pretty easily. Costochondritis is inflammation of the cartilage along the sternum where the ribs connect. If you press along the side of sternum, it will hurt and elicit the same pain you are feeling. Pleurisy is deeper and there is no tenderness involved, just pain. They both respond to anti-inflammatories and heat, and both are usually self limited, lasting less than 2 weeks. Pleurisy pain tends to be sharper and more knifelike than costochondritis.

Reply Reply