It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
(female)

alana20 HB User
Persistent irritant low in chest cough... any ideas please

Hi my daughter who is 25 non smoker has been suffering with a cough on and off for several years....it seems if she gets a common cold virus the cough lasts for months usually 3-4months....she describes it as very itchy/tickle y low down in chest NOT the throat and she cannot contain it at all...the cough sound is not wet there is no mucus at all but it is every day and progressively gets worse as the day goes on...she has had asthma checks has been on inhalers (do not work) had xray blood tests from the gp....has now been referred to a cough clinic who have tried skin ***** allergy tests (not all only common ones) and ok....the clinic is going to test for reflux...but i doubt it will be that but wont know for sure till done....she has just been prescribed prednisolone for 10 days and is on her 3rd day and no improvement yet.....this is becoming very tiring for her as there is nothing to alleviate this so far....any ideas on this one??...many thanks for reading.

Last edited by alana20; 07-04-2013 at 01:42 AM. Reason: to add

Old 07-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Persistent irritant low in chest cough... any ideas please

Hi...I'm impressed there's a "cough clinic". I've never heard of one. It's good they're checking your daughter for reflux...it can be a common reason for coughing.

I'm assuming she's had breathing testing done?

If the x-rays and the reflux and allergy testing ends up being clear, I think there should be three things for sure that she should have done.....an exercise stress test and an MRI of her chest/abdomen.

Does she happen to have a hiatal hernia?

What asthma medications exactly was she on?
What blood tests has she had done to see if she has inflammation or other markers for autoimmune?

How is her thyroid? and is she overweight? Is she on any specific diet? Does she consume artificial sweeteners on a continual basis?

Is she on supplements of any kind?

Has she had her vitamin D, iron and vitamin Bs checked?

Some things are difficult for doctors to pinpoint. It's frustrating when we fall into a category of a symptom, but the lines are blurred when treatments fail.

I will say this, however...my husband and my best friend, both, have coughing issues that can come and last for months. My husband's has improved immensely (for whatever reason), and my friend's improves after more intense lengthy treatment of steroid inhaler and yes...short tapered courses of pred. She, however, is lax in earlier treatment (of which she has access)...so denial and pseudo-optimism is her problem.

I would appreciate the updates on how she's doing.
q

Last edited by quincy; 07-06-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
(female)

alana20 HB User

Hi q.....Thank you for replying

Yes she has had some breathing test done...

im not sure of the names but the inhalers she has tried were a brown preventative and a blue reliever.

As far as i know she has not been tested for vit d b deficiencies...

She is continuing with the pred but no impact there....

she is a normal weight

She is returning to the clinic soon and will come back with further info...

These may not be connected but when she was about 2 she contracted a croup virus caught from her cousin who apart from the cough was ok....my daughter however had to be admitted to hospital with breathing difficulty as the doctor said it had gone into her chest....she also suffers from psvt quite a lot as well usually triggered after eating but not all the time....

Thank you for your info...i will let her know so she can ask about the other tests...

The following user gives a hug of support to alana20:
quincy (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi alana20...I just wrote out a huge response and lost it..sigh..lol.
So, I'll make this much shorter...

Has she been checked for parasites, hormone levels?

I think that an MRI can still give some answers with specific chest and upper abdomen. worth the wait if it's anything like it is here (months and months).

It's certainly possible that the croup virus she had at 2 years and her having psvt is playing a part in what's going on. Some things don't affect us until we reach a certain age or have a series of events to trigger responses that become quite elusive in tracking.

I hope the answers come soon....but she definitely needs more testing. I will appreciate the updates if you're willing to post. If I come across anything I'll post in this thread.

quincy

Reply Reply