It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

New Blood Work

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2017, 06:40 AM   #1
daniell77
(female)

daniell77 HB User
New Blood Work

I took my 9 year old daughter into her pediatrician last week due to severe knee pain and fatigue. She has been sleeping a lot and just looks tired in general. Her eyes are dark around them. People are even commenting on how tired she looks. The thing is that she hasn't been doing anything. She has been out of gymnastics for almost 2 months due to the holidays. I couldn't even get her out of bed to go see a movie. The next day, I got her right in to see her pediatrician since we have to drive 2 hours to see her Rheumatologist. She did blood work. While in the office, I noticed she had petechiae all under both of her arm pits. I didn't mention it to her doctor because I feel like I am "symptom listing" at this point. I'm starting to feel like people think I'm crazy. Her nurse called several days later saying the doctor wants to repeat the blood work in 14 days but when I asked her why and asked if she could tell me what was going on with the blood work, she said the doctor would discuss with me when we came in in 2 weeks. Obviously that didn't sit well with me so I went to the lab where we had her lab work done and got a copy of it. I wanted to know what we were looking at. She had another UTI which she gets often but she was already almost finished with her antibiotics when the blood work was done. We figure she is more susceptible to UTIs since her kidney surgery and where her kidney is placed now. Can anyone give me any idea as to what her blood work could mean? I'll put her values here at the end. Also, keep in mind she is on Plaquenil 200mg every other day and 100mg every other day. We rotate 200mg and 100mg because she is so young and small. Thank you!

WBC 4.5 (L) Range: 6.0-14.0
MCHC 33.9 (H) Range: 28.0-33.00
%NEUT 35.8 (L) Range: 40.0-65.0
#NEUT 1.60 (L) Range: 2.00-6.00
% LYMPH 52.4 (H) Range: 25.0-40.0
#LYMPH 2.30 (L) Range: 5.0-8.50
%BASO 1.2 (H) Range 0.0-0.5
#MONO 0.30 (L) Range: .70-1.50

Last edited by daniell77; 01-03-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2017, 06:25 AM   #2
VeeJ
Senior Veteran
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: New Blood Work

Hi. I'm sorry you continue to struggle for more clarity. I think the problem is that these particular tests are so non-specific. Is the follow-up with her rheumatologist? Although I suspect underarm area would be an unusual location, I'd want him/her to look at the possible petechiae there. Normally, platelet count and anti-platelet AB tests are run if petechiae are visible.

Also, did you ask her if she'd scratched or rubbed? I can create (by mistake) petechiae-like red dots by rubbing my skin or scratching.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
daniell77
(female)

daniell77 HB User
Re: New Blood Work

Her follow-up was with the pediatrician who did the blood work. Her ASO titre was really high so she had to get a Bicillin shot but it's always high and her pediatrician doesn't understand why she's having such a hard time getting rid of it. After the Bicillin, the petechiae did go away so the doctor thinks they were related to strep. She doesn't get the usual strep symptoms like sore throat and swollen glands. She gets the rashes and joint pain and petechiae. The doctor said that all over body petechiae is usually associated with the platelets. My mother has petechiae on her but she has cancer for the 3rd time so her Oncologist watches those. My daughter's petechiae were worse on one side then after a few days, worse on the other side then they started to move over toward her chest. Once she got the Bicillin, they went away. Hopefully they were due to the strep. I just don't know if strep has to do with the autoimmune issue since we are having a hard time getting it clear from her blood work. Her pediatrician believes her sudden onset of tics are also from the strep being there. She's actually wondering if the rashes and leg pain could be a reaction from the strep...like it could be a Poststreptococcal reaction/autoimmune reaction to the strep. Is that possible?

Reply Reply