It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

Drug-Induced Lupus

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
Airycarrie
(female)

Airycarrie HB User
Drug-Induced Lupus

Hi, I have been told by my neurologist for many years that I have an autoimmune disease that hasn't reared its ugly head. I have had random low positive ANAs over the years (highest 1:80), a positive lupus anticoagulant test a few years back (now negative), and a positive anticardiolipin test (several years ago), This month, I had a positive anti-histone ab (borderline positive ). I read this test could indicate drug-induced lupus. The thing is, I am not on any drug known to cause drug-induced lupus. I am waiting for my follow-up. Just wondering if these low positive tests along with lupus symptoms (small fiber neuropathy), localized scleroderma, sun sensitivity, flushing, possible malar rash, POTS (and other autonomic issues), mouth ulcers, flu like aches at times, etc... could lead to a SLE diagnosis? Is there any cause for an anti-histone ab test could be positive other than drugs?

Last edited by Airycarrie; 03-17-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #2
VeeJ
Senior Veteran
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Drug-Induced Lupus

Hi & welcome. I just read that anti-histone is seen in 70% of SLE patients, and also is seen in 95% of DILE patients. But in DILE, you'd expect anti-ss-DNA *also* to be positive---that's single-stranded anti-DNA, associated with DILE vs the double-stranded kind associated with systemic lupus.

In your list of symptoms, you mention localized scleroderma. Do you have a formal diagnosis for that?

I'm no doctor [understatement], but I see localized scleroderma as putting you into a slightly different category than classic SLE, if there can eb said to be such a thing as "classic" lupus. Here's what I mean. In one of the best-known lupus hardcovers, the author describes a study in which 5% of the SLE patients being re-reviewed were found to *also* fit the diagnostic criteria for MCTD (Mixed Connective Tissue Disease). Then there's a different set of SLE patients who fulfill both the criteria for SLE and for "CREST" (which is in the scleroderma-related family of conditions); and that group is said to have "lupoderma".

Also, having tested positive once for anticardiolipin is interesting, I think, because that's seen in antiphospholipid syndrome (abbreviated APS), and because people with APS overwhelmingly also have lupus. Do you know how high your anticardiolipin result was? (I think 2x normal really raises eyebrows.) And were you given the other usual tests for APS? Those others would include antiphospholipid antibodies, lupus anticoagulant, syphilis serology (no insult at all intended, they are looking for a *false positive*), and anti-beta-2 glycoprotein.

You could look for hardcovers in your local library. [See the "sticky posts" = permanent info posts above the user threads for add'l info]. Looking forward to hearing more soon. Sending you warm wishes on this cold snowy day! Bye for now, V

Reply Reply