It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

10 years, on plaquenil and eye toxicity

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
kathryn+2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
10 years, on plaquenil and eye toxicity

My rheumatologist has just cut my plaquenil dosage in half . I'm really feeling the difference . He told me,that after being on plaquenil for the last 10 years ups my risk of toxicity in the eye . My optamologist told me the same thing . Um thinking of getting a second opinion . I do have yearly eye exams and I'm fine so far . Frankly I'd rather take my chances and feel better than have this be my new,reality

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
VeeJ
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: 10 years, on plaquenil and eye toxicity

Kathryn, I'd head straight to the library on this one. There are some excellent hardcovers [see sticky posts], at least one of which covers eye toxicity and Plaquenil in quite some detail. As I interpret it, the 10-year risks are exceedingly low for patients with normal kidney function AND who take less than a certain amount as compared to body weight. So I suspect the issue could be that the *10 year* risks have been studied & quantified, but per one expert, the risk may become 1 in 30 patients 10 years out.

The author also makes the point that if melanin buildup is detected at any point, the patient must stop, and the melanin deposits "almost always" dissipate---so that part is good. I see my eye doctor every six months for a field vision test---do you?

Like you, I've taken Plaquenil for many years. However, my rheum cut dosage from 400 mg to 200 mg after a mere 1-1/3 years. Which of your symptoms have worsened? I hurt a lot (weather changes, age, and "just because"), so I take an OTC NSAID daily as well. Looking forward to hearing more, Vee

Reply Reply