It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2003, 08:21 PM   #1
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User
Question Anyone ever used Methotrexate Injections?

Hi everyone, I hope all of you are doing well this evening.

My questions is this: have any of you ever been on Methotrexate injections? I have been diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome and my Rheumatologist started me on the Plaquenil but I started having some side effects that I didn't feel I could live with and he asked me to stop taking it and suggested this route. He sent me some literature in the mail and asked me to read about it, think about it and get back with him. He said the shots work faster than the Plaquenil and there are side effects but just like any other medication, it may or may not effect me like other people, because we are all so different.

I just want to feel better so badly. I am 34 years old and my muscles and joints are so sore and achy and swollen, especially in the am that I can hardly move about for two or three hours. This has been going on since the birth of my son almost two years ago and I'm completely over it! I'd love to know if any of you have ever been down this road with the Methotrexate or if you know of anyone who has please let me know.

Take care
Melissa

Old 11-07-2003, 11:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hi Melissa

Nice to see you back I am so sorry that you are having such dreadful side effects with the Plaquenil!! It can work for some and not for others. The same goes with the Methotrexate. There are more medications that can help for the Sjogrens too.. I will list some. Then I can tell you more about the Metho.

Imuran can work to help suppress symptoms
Prednisone can help too!
Cytoxan is another

I haven't really heard much mentioned about people with Sjogrens using Metho as a common treatment. Generally, it is used with Lupus to help suppress things too, but it can work in Sjogren's. It may work for you! Sometimes it takes many different medications to get things organized when we have autoimmune diseases. I am sorry that your not feeling better. Metho can take a bit to kick in too, but not as long as the Plaquenil (sometimes in different people it can take awhile though!).

I am concerned about your arm though. Have you had it ultrasounded or anything to see what is going on in there? And the muscle pain too.. Ugh I hate that. Some other drugs that you could consider for the interm are:

Cylert for fatigue
Neurontin for pain
Tricyclic Antidepressants for pain
NSAID's for muscle and joint pain

I am on a narcotic for severe pain (mine is abdo and joints) so maybe that could even help you out for the interm? I hope that your doctor can get you sorted out soon! Take care!!

~Angelic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2003, 09:50 AM   #3

debbie terry HB User
Hi Melissa, I don't have lupus but use metho injections for RA. I self inject once a week 25mg and take it in conjunction with plaquenil and sulphasalazine. I went onto the injections instead of metho tablets as it's ment to be more effective. I've been doing them for 18 months, the main side effects for me were nausa which settled down and mouth ulsers which stopped by taking folic acid. I don't enjoy doing the injections but have gotten used to it. It has made a difference as my disease is now better controlled. (Still not as great as I would like !)

Old 11-15-2003, 10:33 PM   #4
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User
Response to first shot wasn't so bad :)

Hi everyone

Thanks for posting to my previous post. My first shot of Methotrextrate was last Monday evening and it was 25mg in the arm. The only side effects I felt were, late that night my left hand was really sore and throbbing and I had to put ice packs on it to make it feel better. Then on Tuesday evening, almost 24 hours after the shot was administered, I got very very nauseous. This lasted about 2-3 hours and then I went to bed and was fine Wednesday. I've been fine ever since except for occasional bouts of nausea that come and go kind of quickly.

This is the only drug I am currently on for my Sjogren's, along with my folic acid. I did not tolerate the Plaquenil well at all.

I take everyday a Multivitamin, a Folic Acid pill, a Biotin pill (for hair), Clonidine (for blood pressure), Topomax (for migraine headaches) and Lortab (for pain).

I sure hope these injections start to make me feel better. And to be honest, I wouldn't mind if they made my appetite go away either . I could stand to lose about 30 or 40 lbs and am having a very hard time doing it on my own because of the Sjogren's and the sore achy muscles and so own and I know there's probably nothing I can take over the counter to suppress my appetite so we'll see. Who know's, once I start feeling better, maybe I can get back into my walking regime again...that would be fantastic !!

Well guys, anymore advice or support would be wonderful to hear.
Take care and talk to you soon,
Melissa

Closed Thread