It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2003, 09:22 PM   #1

moonliteandrose HB User
Question Confused

[FONT=Georgia]About 10 yrs ago (when I was 17) my doctor suspected that I had Lupus, so tests were run. All I remember was that I was ANA+, and Photosensitive (a punch biopsy was done on my face). I was also told that I had a faint butterfly rash. Recently, I have been having a lot of fatigue and joint pain, and I still get very ill after going out in the sun. My bloodwork came back ANA + 1:320, but my sed rate is only 1. I have 1 more blood test to go to this week that the DR said will rule out Lupus. He put me on Celebrex and said that even if this next test came back positive, my course of treatment would remain the same. He also stated that if it comes back -, he will just leave my diagnosis as an autoimmune disease and I will come back for yearly checkups, or until "my organs become damaged enabling him to make a diagnosis of which disease I have." I dont understand why I am in so much pain if my sed rate is only 1. I have no idea what all this means, and would appreciate any comments!

Old 11-14-2003, 10:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hello moonlite!

Whatever happened to "Preventative" medicine?? Geez!! I don't know why doctors ignore the symptoms AND the positive blood work. So many people showing symptoms DONT have the blood work and they can get diagnosed, yet there are people out there like you that have the positiev blood work that can't get diagnosed. Its so weird!!

Have you ever seen a Rheumatologist? I suggest that you DO NOT wait until you have something bad happen. Your blood can not be false positive because you are symptomatic so it would be worth seeing one for evaluation. If your GP does not cooperate, I would find a new one becuz you need a good GP! The sed rate does NOT always become elevated, lots of people with Lupus have a normal sed rate when there ANA is sky high. That is not the best way to diagnose Lupus anyway- the ANA is more specific. Do you know what the pattern of your ANA was? Ex/ centromere, speckled etc If you could tell me that I can help you more.

I don't think it is in your best interest for your doctor to "rule out" Lupus with a positive ANA and symptoms! Please see if you can get a Rheumatologist to see you to evaluate you properly for Lupus. And if your GP won't cooperate, please find a new one!!! Take care and welcome to the board

~Angelic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread