It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2003, 12:11 AM   #1

LorenzoMom HB User
Please Help Me

OK...I am a 25 year old woman and have been having the following symptoms off and on for about 5 years

Joint Pain
Skin Rashes
low grade fever
Migraine headaches
Tingling in hands
Painfull dry eyes
Fatigue
Frequent Urinary infections
Menstrual problems (ovarian cysts)

The problem is my blood work always comes out normal and the GP then tells me that I need to have less stress and more excercise. I am at the end of my rope with this stuff. I keep trying to explain that the fatigue and pain is somtimes so bad I do not want to do anything it is painfull just walking around. Can you have lupus and have a normal Metabolic and CBC count?

if it is not lupus can someone point me in SOME kind of direction

Tera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2003, 04:22 AM   #2
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
Absolutely! Ask your doctor to test you for antiphospholipid antibody syndrome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2003, 10:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hi LorenzoMom and welcome to the board!

First off, you can have Lupus without the positive test results. In some people, the blood won't show up when the person is having symptoms! Also, there are 5% of people out there that have Lupus but have never had the positive test results. By looking at your symptoms, it seems that you do have ones that are consistant with Lupus or something autoimmune for sure. Some GP's do blame symptoms on stress or "depression" when they can't figure out the cause. There are lots of markers in the blood and in the urine that can show when Lupus is suspected. These are some:

Lymphopenia- The decrease of lymphocytes in the blood

Urine Protein- The increase of protein in the urine can be a marker

Increased ESR and decreased CRP- Sometimes the ESR will be elevated when there is inflammation in the body.. it is a nonspecific marker for inflammation. The CRP (C-reactive protein) can be very low when the ESR is elevated in people with Lupus. Sometimes my CRP will be 1 and my ESR will be 30!

B12 deficiency- can go with Lupus (Pernicious anemia)

GERD- too

Iron anemia- is another clue that something autoimmune disease is going on

X-rays- showing joint inflammation

History of kidney inflammation

Also, do you have a history of autoimmune diseases in your family? Like Rheumatoid Arthritis, Type 1 Diabetes, Hashimotos Thyroid, Lupus, Crohn's Disease etc

Sampy is correct that you should be tested for Antiphospholipid Syndrome as well. Do you have a history of miscarraige, stroke, TIA (mini stroke), DVT (leg clots) etc. If you do and have migraines then you should get this GP to test you. The blood tests are the anticardiolipin and the Lupus anticoagulant.

Also! I just thought of something else here. Have you been tested for Sjogren's Syndrome? It is a syndrome that can go with Lupus or occur on its own. It involves dry eyes, dry mouth and nose and dry "woman areas" etc Anything that can get dry does. The test can be quite simple- it can be a piece of litmus paper inserted in the eye to measure the moisture. If it is "bone dry" then you have Sjogren's! ANd if you have Sjogrens, chances are that you have Lupus. I will try and think if there are any more markers in the blood here. Please check out the "Criteria to diagnose Lupus" in this forum. I had to travel to London England to Dr. Hughes to be diagnosed properly becauase Lupus can be so hard to get diagnosed! I hope that you can be referred to a Rheumatologist that specializes in Lupus patients. If your GP continues to blame everything on stress, I think that you need a new one! GP's are our first defence when we have Lupus, they are our saving grace and our biggest advocate. Hope this helps you and that you feel better soon!

~Angelic

Old 11-19-2003, 12:05 PM   #4

LorenzoMom HB User
My GP called today and suggested to put me on antideppressants. I told her no and now she has presribed a painkiller and if that does not work she is going to call me in for more blood tests. Should I take the painkillers or insist on the blood tests?

Tera

Old 11-19-2003, 01:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hi LorenzoMom,

I would suggest NOT taking the antidepressants, because I doubt that you need them! Ask your doctor to retest you for Lupus and for Antiphospholipid Syndrome. You have to also be careful with the pain killers, you don't want to be labelled as a drug addict without a diagnosis. Some of these doctors are such idiots that they find the first thing that is different and try and blame EVERYTHING on it! Isnt that awful. I think that you should take the pain medication if you need it. Which one is she putting you on? Tell her that you would like the blood work done ASAP so that you know where you are at. If the pain medication is a narcotic (like Percocet, lortab, Oxycontin) then it wont affect your blood work. if she is putting you on Celebrex, Vioxx or any other NSAID (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory Drug) then you can't start it until you have the blood work becuz it can affect your blood tests. If this doctor doesn't get off the "antidepressant" kick then I would suggest getting a new GP. Call her and ask for the following blood and urine tests: CBC, electrolytes, urinalysis, ANA, Anti-Dna, Anti-Rnp, Anti-Sm, Anti-Ro (SS-A), Anti-La (SS-B), and Anti-Jo 1 done as well as the anticardiolipin IgM and IgG and the Lupus anticoagulant (Dilute Russell's Viper Venom Time) tests. Also, the Cholesterol panel, because serum Triglycerides can be elevated in autoimmune diseases. I wish you the best and keep pluggin along. I am not a doctor, but I should be after all the "expertise" I have being a patient. I do work in the medical field too Let us know what you find out

~Angelic

Old 11-19-2003, 02:15 PM   #6
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
Angelic is 100% correct. I wouldn't take anti-depressants unless (and until) everything else is ruled out. There's a reason you're having these symptoms.
Sounds like you may be better off looking for a doctor who really wants to help you.

Closed Thread