It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2003, 01:11 AM   #1

Truffles HB User
Unhappy Angelic!! RE: Am I crazy?-blood work

Hi
I just received an old copy of my blood work. I wanted an opinion on what it means. I also posted ANGELIC! Help AM I crazy?-something to that effect. All it says on the page of my blood-work is:
Anti ANA, DNA, SSA+

There's nothing else on the page? Does this mean anything?
Thanks again. You truly are an angel!

Old 11-20-2003, 09:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Re: Angelic!! RE: Am I crazy?-blood work

Hi Truffles,

This means that all of those things are positive! That means that you certainly DO have Lupus, that ANA and the Anti-Dna are the tell tales for that. The Anti-dna is the more specific one for Lupus too, so no one can tell you otherwise anymore!! The SSA is also known as the Anti-Ro which means that you do have Sjogren's Syndrome, the dry eyes syndrome. It goes with Lupus. Someone posted about it in this forum, and I put a good explanation with it if you want to check it out. I really hope that you can get into a GOOD Rheumatologist to get diagnosed and treated soon. Since your ANA and Anti-DNA are both positive it would be good to be treated soon!! There aren't any titres, like "1:350" and a pattern like "speckled" beside any of that blood work hey? I wish they were moer specific! Take care and get back to your doctor to see if they can get you organized here.. I can't believe they thikn your crazy!!! Grrr!

~Luv, Dana (Angelic)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2003, 10:55 AM   #3

Truffles HB User

I don't know what I would have done without you! I truly feel NORMAL! You are such a SWEETHEART!!!! I was told that I don't have Lupus but that I carried it. They ran my hands under cold water to see if they changed colour? They didn't change. Is it possible to not MEET their 4 out of 11 criteria and still have Lupus? ie: with anxiety, fatigue etc? That is my last question. You have NO IDEA how much I APPRECIATE your help. I can't say enough kind words about you. GOD BLESS YOU!! You're in my prayers.
Thank you!!! Thank you !!!! Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicBrat
Hi Truffles,

This means that all of those things are positive! That means that you certainly DO have Lupus, that ANA and the Anti-Dna are the tell tales for that. The Anti-dna is the more specific one for Lupus too, so no one can tell you otherwise anymore!! The SSA is also known as the Anti-Ro which means that you do have Sjogren's Syndrome, the dry eyes syndrome. It goes with Lupus. Someone posted about it in this forum, and I put a good explanation with it if you want to check it out. I really hope that you can get into a GOOD Rheumatologist to get diagnosed and treated soon. Since your ANA and Anti-DNA are both positive it would be good to be treated soon!! There aren't any titres, like "1:350" and a pattern like "speckled" beside any of that blood work hey? I wish they were moer specific! Take care and get back to your doctor to see if they can get you organized here.. I can't believe they thikn your crazy!!! Grrr!

~Luv, Dana (Angelic)

Old 11-20-2003, 11:20 AM   #4

Hewie HB User

Hi Truffles.. I'm hewie and pretty new to this forum....

Angelic has helped me a lot lately too... God Bless her..!

I agree 100% with her... you are a shoe-in for positive Lupus with the postive DsDNA... as it is almost exclusive to SLE (lupus)

And I've read a lot these last few days about Lupus and YES you can be diagnosed even without 4 of the 11 criteria - ESPECIALLY since your DsDNA is positive. RE: speckled pattern - it's just one of 3 (more?) patterns seen in SLE and mine is speckled too... at !:640 but I had a negative DsDNA so it is a much harder road for me in the diagnosis area... But I'm seeing a rheumatologist soon.....

I too hope you start getting treatment soon.....

God Bless... hewie

Old 11-20-2003, 11:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User

You guys are too sweet!!! I would feel badly if I didn't help you! The Lord has given me the knowledge so I am lucky enough to be able to help you all!!

Truffles: I think that you do meet at least 4 out of the 11 Criteria, let me explain. I have pasted your symptoms in here so that I can go through them with you.

-depressive anxiety-on meds-effexor (heart palpatations, dizzyness etc. feels like I'm in a dreamlike state) MY DAD HAS ANXIETY TOO <-- This could be from a psychiatric manifestation from the LUPUS. You aren't crazy, but lots of people get anxiety that have LUPUS.
-blood work said I have it <--- You sure do!!!
-I get hives periodically <--- This could be allergies related to a form of LUPUS too!

-I've had those weird migraines where I cannot see, or see bits and peices, or weird lights periodically <--- Antiphospholipid Syndrome could be causing this one

-I've been anemic while pregnant and at other times too<--- Lupus!

-extreme fatigue /weak and sick like FREQUENTLY <--- LUPUS symtom, very common!

-canker sores and herpes simplex on the mouth <--- Mouth sores are common with LUPUS too!

-if I go in a tanning bed for more than 15 mins, my skin gets itchy and raised goes away after a day, but not severe <--- Sun sensitivity, LUPUS related

-my bones feel like they ache most the time (I thought it was due to anxiety?) feels like growing pains <--- LUPUS too!! Joint pain, Its NOT anxiety!

-Extreme bowel problems -feels like I'm giving birth with almost every bowel movement <--- That can be inflammation of the bowel from Lupus!

-fainting <--- That could be from Antiphospholipid Syndrome
-maybe this one is funny, but I find the sun very bright and it hurts my eyes (maybe I just need glasses!) <--- This is a typical sun senitivity with LUPUS too, VERY Common!

-I once had blood tests and was told that my white or red blood cells were producing at twice the rate or something-if that means anything <-- Yes, increased WBC are associated with Lupus too

-for the past 2 weeks I'm losing strength in my left hand (dominant hand) it's always numb and tingly(ring and pinky finger) <--- That could be Antiphospholipid Syndrome! Please check the Stroke forum for my post called "Unexplained Stroke/TIA? Could be APS!" or something like that okay?

FIRST off I really think that you need to be tested for Antiphospholipid Syndrome because of some of your symptoms (migraines, tingling and weakness etc). All of the neurological symptoms that you have could be explained by that.

The American Medical Association has made criteria to diagnose Lupus, and you certainly DO have at least 4 out of 11 of the criteria, let me explain that too!

Here are the criteria to diagnose and I will comment beside:

Malar Rash <-- You didn't mention rashes, but hives
Discoid Rash
Photosensitivity <-- You have this, its sensitivity to the sun.. so thats ONE so far
Oral Ulsers <--- That's TWO
Arthritis <--- That's THREE
Serositis (pleuritis or pericarditis) <-- Do you have a history of inflammation of the heart or lung tissue?
Renal Disorder (persistent Proteinuria in the urine or cellular casts) <-- You haven't mentioned Urine workups
Neurological disorder (seizures or psychosis) <-- That's FOUR
Hematologic disorder (anemia, Leukopenia or lymphopenia on two or more occasions <--- That's FOUR
thrombocytopenia <-- This is a blood disorder
Immunologic disorder (positive LE cell preparation, abnormal anti-DNA or ANTI-Sm values, False postive <-- That's FIVE
VDRL (syphilis test)
Abnormal ANA Titre <--- That's SIX

And these are just off the top of my head! You definitely have 6 of the criteria hon. I would love to see your urine workups! And the diagnosis criteria is from anytime in someone's LIFETIME. So you have Lupus- I am pretty positive about that one. You can't CARRY Lupus for pete's sake.. although your kids would have a higher risk of developing it because you have it too. How many Rheumatologist's and Neurologists have you seen? I am ready to ring all of their necks!! You take care, and things will work out.. I promise. Take care and God Bless you too, both of you!!

~Luv, Angelic (aka Dana)

Old 11-20-2003, 11:13 PM   #6

Truffles HB User
Cool Re: Angelic!! RE: Am I crazy?-blood work

Gosh, I've never had someone so excited to see my urine before!!! Hee hee. Now that puts it into perspective. I thought I had like one or two symptoms. Poooo! What exactly would they do for me? I don't think I'm anemic now? What do I know? As for the arthritis, I don't think I have that. I just feel like I can't stop moving sometimes and want to keep stretching. It's like restless leg syndrome but in the whole body. I associate with anxiety, even though I don't feel anxious. After reading this, I called for a new appointment in Jan 12th to see a new person. I don't know what they'll do. I guess I can stay out of the sun even though the sun symptoms aren't THAT bad. If I stay out for a few hours I get some itchy spots. Not all the time though, that's why I'm confused. Cause I also get hives for what seems like no reason. I'm so overwhelmed at the moment with the generosity that someone cares. Lupus is crazy I tell you! After ALLLLL the help you've given me, I'm still confused! I guess it's a learning process and am happy with what I know now. Ok, I'm writing a novel!...=) Oh you asked about lung and heart, I get bronchitis once a year or walking pneumonia(only once). That's about it. I don't think I have the inflammation thing to be considered another point. I've seen one rheumo.... who works at the Lupus clinic, and someone who does blood stuff -immunol...? maybe.
Quote:
You guys are too sweet!!! I would feel badly if I didn't help you! The Lord has given me the knowledge so I am lucky enough to be able to help you all!!

Truffles: I think that you do meet at least 4 out of the 11 Criteria, let me explain. I have pasted your symptoms in here so that I can go through them with you.

-depressive anxiety-on meds-effexor (heart palpatations, dizzyness etc. feels like I'm in a dreamlike state) MY DAD HAS ANXIETY TOO <-- This could be from a psychiatric manifestation from the LUPUS. You aren't crazy, but lots of people get anxiety that have LUPUS.
-blood work said I have it <--- You sure do!!!
-I get hives periodically <--- This could be allergies related to a form of LUPUS too!

-I've had those weird migraines where I cannot see, or see bits and peices, or weird lights periodically <--- Antiphospholipid Syndrome could be causing this one

-I've been anemic while pregnant and at other times too<--- Lupus!

-extreme fatigue /weak and sick like FREQUENTLY <--- LUPUS symtom, very common!

-canker sores and herpes simplex on the mouth <--- Mouth sores are common with LUPUS too!

-if I go in a tanning bed for more than 15 mins, my skin gets itchy and raised goes away after a day, but not severe <--- Sun sensitivity, LUPUS related

-my bones feel like they ache most the time (I thought it was due to anxiety?) feels like growing pains <--- LUPUS too!! Joint pain, Its NOT anxiety!

-Extreme bowel problems -feels like I'm giving birth with almost every bowel movement <--- That can be inflammation of the bowel from Lupus!

-fainting <--- That could be from Antiphospholipid Syndrome
-maybe this one is funny, but I find the sun very bright and it hurts my eyes (maybe I just need glasses!) <--- This is a typical sun senitivity with LUPUS too, VERY Common!

-I once had blood tests and was told that my white or red blood cells were producing at twice the rate or something-if that means anything <-- Yes, increased WBC are associated with Lupus too

-for the past 2 weeks I'm losing strength in my left hand (dominant hand) it's always numb and tingly(ring and pinky finger) <--- That could be Antiphospholipid Syndrome! Please check the Stroke forum for my post called "Unexplained Stroke/TIA? Could be APS!" or something like that okay?

FIRST off I really think that you need to be tested for Antiphospholipid Syndrome because of some of your symptoms (migraines, tingling and weakness etc). All of the neurological symptoms that you have could be explained by that.

The American Medical Association has made criteria to diagnose Lupus, and you certainly DO have at least 4 out of 11 of the criteria, let me explain that too!

Here are the criteria to diagnose and I will comment beside:

Malar Rash <-- You didn't mention rashes, but hives
Discoid Rash
Photosensitivity <-- You have this, its sensitivity to the sun.. so thats ONE so far
Oral Ulsers <--- That's TWO
Arthritis <--- That's THREE
Serositis (pleuritis or pericarditis) <-- Do you have a history of inflammation of the heart or lung tissue?
Renal Disorder (persistent Proteinuria in the urine or cellular casts) <-- You haven't mentioned Urine workups
Neurological disorder (seizures or psychosis) <-- That's FOUR
Hematologic disorder (anemia, Leukopenia or lymphopenia on two or more occasions <--- That's FOUR
thrombocytopenia <-- This is a blood disorder
Immunologic disorder (positive LE cell preparation, abnormal anti-DNA or ANTI-Sm values, False postive <-- That's FIVE
VDRL (syphilis test)
Abnormal ANA Titre <--- That's SIX

And these are just off the top of my head! You definitely have 6 of the criteria hon. I would love to see your urine workups! And the diagnosis criteria is from anytime in someone's LIFETIME. So you have Lupus- I am pretty positive about that one. You can't CARRY Lupus for pete's sake.. although your kids would have a higher risk of developing it because you have it too. How many Rheumatologist's and Neurologists have you seen? I am ready to ring all of their necks!! You take care, and things will work out.. I promise. Take care and God Bless you too, both of you!!

~Luv, Angelic (aka Dana)

Last edited by Truffles; 11-20-2003 at 11:21 PM.

Old 11-21-2003, 09:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh crud! I got you mixed up with someone else.. regarding that anemia thing. Sorry about that LOL

Did you mean an Immunologist? They are really good usually.. they know the immune system top to bottom. There are always the rotten apples though, thats for sure!! I still think that you fit the criteria to a T, and that you need to be taken care of by a GOOD Rheumy. You take care and talk to you soon.

~Luv, Dana

Old 11-27-2003, 11:08 PM   #8

Truffles HB User

Quote:
Oh crud! I got you mixed up with someone else.. regarding that anemia thing. Sorry about that LOL

Did you mean an Immunologist? They are really good usually.. they know the immune system top to bottom. There are always the rotten apples though, thats for sure!! I still think that you fit the criteria to a T, and that you need to be taken care of by a GOOD Rheumy. You take care and talk to you soon.

~Luv, Dana
Well I had a doc's appointment and she said my symptoms are that of depression and is not convinced I have lupus. Apparently I just carry the lupus virus. I don't know what to do. Maybe I'm just a hypochondriac. I can live with that. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-28-2003, 09:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Truffles,

OH MY GOSH you are so NOT depressed. For petes sake, these doctors can mash us up into a piece of dirt under their toe nails at any opportunity.

You cannot just "carry" Lupus- they are pulling your leg hon!!!!! Lupus isn't a virus, it doesn't come and go. Its really simple but they are making this so stupid for you. I will write it like a mathematical equation:

Symptoms + Blood work = Lupus

You really need a doctor that is on your side here. These ones are obviously not too bright Truffles. What they do to us is if they don't know what is wrong with us, they will turn that finger right around and point it at us- making it our fault that we are sick!! When I was told that I was nuts, I gave it ONE DAY to sit and stew and mull it over and then I shot the "crazy monkey" off my back and went on with life. You deserve to know what is wrong, you have that right. So I hope that you can find a NEW GP that is going to take you seriously and get you feeling better. The road to a diagnosis can be long, hard, depressing (so even if you are a bit depressed its understandable), and we end up feeling like being sick is all our fault. We have better things to do with our lives, trust me. Being sick by itself is worse enough, but when we have doctors doubt us it makes us feel about an inch tall. You are NOT alone- we are all here for you and if you want to talk, please do that. I know that you aren't depressed, you want answers! Please take care and pray lots. It's like this is just some "opposition" that has come to poke you. Don't let the poke turn into a stab. What I do, is try and "giggle" at the poke so that I don't end up letting that poke to be hurtful, and all that. Please take care and I am sending you HUGE hugs!!!

~Luv, Dana (Angelic)

Old 12-02-2003, 04:53 AM   #10
(female)

littleone1972 HB User

Truffles

one of the symtoms of lupus is in fact depression. It can reflect in different ways in each individual, so although one person has one or two symptoms, another can have many. I urge you please get yourself referred to an immunologist, that was the only way mine was eventually picked up. The blood work the doctor's did kept coming back negative but I knew there was something far from right. Doctor's are not gods, they do not know everything, it will just take one person and then you will know for sure. I had underlying symtoms from the age of 15 to 21 when I was finally diagnosed. I fell out with a top consultant cos he said I was having psychological problems??!! I think what they were seeing was the years of frustration and worry and it felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall so I reacted to them big time... and yes I was proved right! You must keep going to get your diagnosis so you can start to get better!
sending you happy healthy thoughts

Sx

Closed Thread