It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2003, 11:42 PM   #1

Truffles HB User
Question Lupus and tonsils questions

Hi
Does tonsillitis have anything to do with lupus? Angelic if you read this I'm the one who wrote-ANGELIC help am I crazy-incase you wish to refer. I'm asking because I had my tonsils out when I was 5 and was wondering if there is a link. I don't know why I had them out. I guess it was common practice. So maybe it has nothing to to with it.
Thanks!!

Old 11-28-2003, 09:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Re: Lupus and tonsils questions

Hey Truffles,

Tonsils act as an "infection grabber" so they can become enlarged when we are fighting off infections. I also had mine out when i was 5- I was getting sick SO much that I had to have them taken out because they were so big. I think that the link could be that we get sick SO much throughout our lives because our immunities aren't very good, that tonsils are certainly linked to Lupus. I bet if everyone that comes on this board answers this question the answer will be clear as a bell!

~Have you guys had your tonsils out?

Take care!!

~Luv, Angelic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2003, 11:22 PM   #3

Truffles HB User

WOW! Sorry to hear you went through so much. Sounds painful. I don't obviously have mine, and my throat feels like it's shrinking some times. It's so hard to get good lupus info. regarding other things that it affects. I was initially wondering about myself because I thought if lupus affects organs and glands could it be a cause of tonsilitis? I'm trying to get proof to my doc's that I have lupus as they tell me I have all the bloodwork to prove it, but only CARRY it and don't have. I'm not convinced, ecspecially with all the other symptoms I have. They blame the other symptoms on depression....I AM NOT DEPRESSED!!! Anyways I wish you luck with your tonsils. I hope others respond with their thoughts. Thanks for writing. I don't remember my tonsil experience. I was only 5. Kind of young to be taking them out. I must have been really sick?
Take care!!!

Old 12-01-2003, 11:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User

I don't think you are depressed either Truffles!!

What I meant by my post was that it is MORE common for people with Lupus to get tonsillitis and have their tonsils removed. Since anything that can get inflamed does with Lupus, the tonsils are a major target due to the ability for them to swell up with infections. Inflammation finds nasty places to hide, the tonsils are prime for that! Many doctors recommend having the tonsils out if they are affecting breathing or are inflamed a lot of the time. I found information about the tonsils and Lupus. " Patients with any systemic medical disorders (lupus, liver or kidney disease) are at higher risk for tonsil abnormalities and are prime candidates for tonsilectomy, especially when breathing problems, CNS disturbances and sleep apnea are a problem. On physical exam, the size of the tonsils should be documented."

I have found many documents outlining the factor that the tonsils play in patients with Lupus. It sounds like you are having mega problems with yours! I had mine out when i was 6.. they were HUGE at that time and had to come out for sure. Take care guys!!

~Angelic

Last edited by moderator2; 01-28-2004 at 04:04 PM.

Closed Thread