It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2003, 01:04 PM   #1

RBagster HB User
Question Question on spots and sensitive skin patches

Hello and good day all. After reading the most recent posts I can say honestly that I am afraid to go to a rhuemy for fear of being told it's all in my head.... I have 2 questions I was hoping someone could answer for me:
Info about me - 2 positive ANA results (but were on the low side), high white blood cells in urnie, arm rashes that take months to go away, aches and pains, tired to exhausted, raynauds in the hands, digestive tract troubles.......

1.) I've noticed small red spots appearing on my body for a couple of years now. There are a few on my hands and feet and when I apply pressure to those ones they "go away" then come back when I release the pressure. The ones on my body and legs (and one on my face <yipee, it's always fun to have things grow on your face for the world to see>) are larger and do not disappear with pressure. Someone said those were hemangiomas. I read with lupus you can get red spots. Could any of these be related to Lupus? Either the ones on my hands and feet or my body or both?

2.) Every once in a while I will get patches of skin on my hands, under my forearms, or inside my elbows that gets hypersensitive to pressure/touch. It hurts to touch the area even with clothes. It comes on suddenly and can last a few hours and then goes away suddenly. I've tried to find info on this but haven't had any luck. It is not an allergic reaction to anything, doesn't itch or turn colors, looks perfectly normal. Has anyone else ever had this or heard of this?

Thanks for all the information. My doctor seems to want to hold off diagnosing me until I have an ANA result that's through the roof. So I'm trying to gather up all my ammo. But I do feel like I'm trying to prove I have a desease when the doctor is being sceptical. That's why I'm afraid to go to a rhuemy, if he runs me out I would feel humiliated..... why do they make it so hard? It's not like I want a diagnosis so I can then get sympathy. I just want to understand what's wrong with me so I can manage it.....

As I look out my window it looks like a blizzard outside. Hope everyone elses weather is better! Happy holidays and god bless.

RBagster

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2003, 05:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User
Re: Question on spots and sensitive skin patches

Welcome to the healthboards! So glad that your are here!

Like you, diagnosis is pending for me too. You'll get some great info here! I've learned from the Board what to pay attention to with regards to symptoms. I realize now that I dismissed certain ones that I thought were just typical stuff that happened and nothing significant.

Anyway, I wanted to welcome you, and I felt compelled to respond to question no. 2 as follows:

"2.) Every once in a while I will get patches of skin on my hands, under my forearms, or inside my elbows that gets hypersensitive to pressure/touch. It hurts to touch the area even with clothes. It comes on suddenly and can last a few hours and then goes away suddenly. I've tried to find info on this but haven't had any luck. It is not an allergic reaction to anything, doesn't itch or turn colors, looks perfectly normal. Has anyone else ever had this or heard of this?"

Just so I understand you with regards to "patches of skin," you mean certain areas of your body (hands, arms) that when touched, even lightly, hurt!

Have you ever had any type of spine surgery? Epidural with the drug Depo-Medrol? Myelogram? Something like that? Individuals who have arachnoiditis suffer from pain when lightly touched. Arachnoiditis is a severely painful, fatiguing condition with lots of baggage!

Old 12-17-2003, 09:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User

Hi RBagster!!

The small bumps on your arms that go away and come back on your body could be something called "petichea". It's worth having your doctor document these and see exactly what they are. That is what they sound like though. The second kind of skin problem you described almost sounds like Raynauds phenomenon. That is a circulatory problem that can occur with or without the true symptoms, it is more uncommon to have Raynauds without the cold and heat sensitivity BUT you can have it like that. Sometimes that is the beginnings of it! So just keep yourself warm and try and "desensitise" your skin with moisturizers and rub it lots to try and desensitise it too.

As for the Rheumy thing, I don't agree with your doctor wanting to wait until you are sky high with your ANA. Some people have to be VERY sick for their ANA to be devistatingly high. And when I say very sick, I mean in the hospital attached to tubes and whistles in ICU. If you do have Lupus, any one of your organs could be affected before your ANA goes up really high. I would hope that your doctor would want to prevent that from happening, but they don't know as much about Lupus as they should! Lots of our health care systems are "reactive medicine" rather than "preventative medicine". That is so sad!!!

And I must add that not ALL Rheumy's are idiots, there are the good ones out there that have diagnosed us and continue to be advocating and smart. We need more of those yes, but with Lupus it can be so hard to diagnose because of its mimiking of so many other diseases. Please don't discount all Rheumys, they aren't all idiots. Sometimes it takes a few to get on the right track, for me it was like 7 before I finally was diagnosed. WE have to seek out the good ones. You take care and talk to you soon

~Angelic

Old 12-18-2003, 02:54 PM   #4

RBagster HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiasunflower
Welcome to the healthboards! So glad that your are here!

Just so I understand you with regards to "patches of skin," you mean certain areas of your body (hands, arms) that when touched, even lightly, hurt!

Have you ever had any type of spine surgery? Epidural with the drug Depo-Medrol? Myelogram? Something like that? Individuals who have arachnoiditis suffer from pain when lightly touched. Arachnoiditis is a severely painful, fatiguing condition with lots of baggage!

The area is typically from a couple of inches to a hand print size area. It is more typical on my forearms and inside my elbows. And yes, even light touchs hurts but it is more of an annoying pain versus an ouch pain if that makes sense. When I don't touch the area I can still feel that the area is sensitive almost like a very light burning sensation. And like I said it only lasts a couple hours at most and when it goes away, it goes away very quickly (almost instantly it seems). I thought this was normal until I asked my husband if he ever had this happen and he looked at me funny (funnier than usual ).

I have never had spine surgery or the other drugs you listed. I knew I had seen in the literature about the red spots on the hands but nothing on the temporary sensitive skin. Thanks for your response, hopefully I'll figure this out eventually.
The boards are great, I'm glad I found it.

RBagster

Closed Thread