It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2004, 04:21 PM   #1

Coreo HB User
Question 1:160 Titer ANA

I just learned of my ANA test results today. I understand the concept of this test. I don't know where 1:160 stands other than "positive." Is this high, medium high, etc? The pattern was "homogenous." What does that mean? Does somebody know what the diagnosis usually is with that result? Does somebody have a chart that correlates ANA test results with various diagnoses? I was referred to a rheumatologist and have set up an appointment for later next week. I've only known about "ANA's" and "titers" for about 2 hours now.

My symptoms have been nontraumatic back and rib pain over the last year. It migrates from one area to another from shoulders to rib cages. Excercise, hot tubs, cold packs Etc. relieve the pain for about two hours at most. I am so new to the science of Rheumatology. Like all of you on this board, I wish I could have learned about it in some other way.

Last edited by Coreo; 01-06-2004 at 04:46 PM.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Re: 1:160 Titer ANA

Hi Coreo and welcome to the board!

First off, the "normal" ANA titer is below 1:40. 1:40 is considered mildly positive. You are quite high with an ANA of 1:640!! An ANA can be specific to a whole range of autoimmune diseases, one being Lupus. What the important thing here is the stain pattern. Yours is homogenous, which is the most specific antibody for Lupus activity. The other one that goes with Lupus is "speckled". There are other stains also, which can indicate other immune problems. Your ANA would be considered medium high range. I have seen people with ANA's of 1:1260 and above!! The ANA goes up when active disease is present. Now you just need to really look back at your history and see if Lupus is the culprit or not. Please check out the symptoms of Lupus in this forum- they do not have to occur right now- but moreso in the past too! It's EVERYTHING up to this point. I will ask you some questions:

Do you get mouth sores?

Do you have a rash on your face or other places? It doesn't have to be a raging rash, it can be scaly too!

Do you get joint pain upon arising from bed in the morning or at night?

Have you ever had kidney inflammation (pyelonephritis) or other kidney problems?

Have you had other organ problems in the past?

Have you ever had hair loss?

Do you have fluctuations in your weight?

Do you get intermittant fevers? (not HIGH fevers, but low grade). If you don't know if you do.. check your temperature a few times a day for awhile. I know that my temperature goes up in the evening.

Have you ever had anything abnormal in yoru blood work or urine work? (protein in the urine, or abnormalities in blood that were unexplainable?)

Do you have thyroid problems, diabetes (type 1) or any other autoimmune problems?

Do you get migraines, headaches, or have a history of Stroke, TIA (mini stroke), DVT (leg clots) or miscarraige?

Thanks, I am being a royal pain here!! This will give me a better understanding of what is going on with you. I will be able to help you prepare for your upcoming Rheumy appointment too! I hope this answers your question for now.. Hope to hear from you soon!

~Angelic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2004, 07:43 PM   #3

Coreo HB User
Re: 1:160 Titer ANA

Hello AngelicBrat. Thanks for your response. My Answers are in bold. Note: my ANA is 1:160 not 1:640. Does it really make a difference?
Do you get mouth sores? NO

Do you have a rash on your face or other places? It doesn't have to be a raging rash, it can be scaly too! No...never have.

Do you get joint pain upon arising from bed in the morning or at night? My morning pain is not joint related. I have torso or rib cage pain in the morning and periodically during the day. It hurts to twist my torso.
Have you ever had kidney inflammation (pyelonephritis) or other kidney problems?
NO
Have you had other organ problems in the past?
NO
Have you ever had hair loss?
I'm male. My hair has slightly receded over the last 10 years. I'm 32 now.
Do you have fluctuations in your weight?
NO
Do you get intermittant fevers? (not HIGH fevers, but low grade). If you don't know if you do.. check your temperature a few times a day for awhile. I know that my temperature goes up in the evening.
I have no idea. I rarely feel the need to take my temperature because rarely have "flu" symptoms.
Have you ever had anything abnormal in yoru blood work or urine work? (protein in the urine, or abnormalities in blood that were unexplainable?)
NO
Do you have thyroid problems, diabetes (type 1) or any other autoimmune problems?
NO
Do you get migraines, headaches, or have a history of Stroke, TIA (mini stroke), DVT (leg clots) or miscarraige?
NO

I hope this helps with your assessment of my situation. My pain is mild and almost neusance pain. I wouldn't characterize it as severe. The pain is daily but usually in a different area from day to day. The pain roams from my shoulder are to mid back to rib cage. Today was actually a very rare day. I was feeling pain-free this afternoon until news of the positive ANA test came in. I don't know if the onset of pain was stressed induced or sitting at the computer with bad posture for 2 hours while I investigated all this new terminology.

Thanks again for your response!

Last edited by Coreo; 01-06-2004 at 07:45 PM.

Closed Thread