It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 06:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User
heat rash from shower

Anyone get a heat rash from showering or bath (red face, neck and chest)?

Last edited by californiasunflower; 04-28-2004 at 08:22 AM.

Old 05-09-2004, 06:26 PM   #2

AnnaRat HB User
Re: heat rash from shower/rash w/cold symptoms

I get a rash on my arms, chest, legs. Not sure about my back though.

After a shower, I have little red dots that are kind of circled by paleness. They don't last long, don't itch either. Fade in maybe a few hours tops. Back of my legs/inside above the ankle. Then up around the knees. Chest, arms and wrist area. The spots don't really do anything but irritate me by their very existance haha.

My cheeks and over my nose bone (kind of where my glasses sit, not the whole nose itself.. I don't look like Rudolph the Reigndeer haha) do get brighter red after a shower though, but not during. Not even for at least 30 minutes to an hour.. then it flares up real bright. It's in the exact same place as my other usual face rash so I don't know if it's heat related or if it's more of the same stuff I have normally.

Showers or baths.. both do it. Though it's worse with a shower, and it's absolutely not a soap/shampoo allergy. Then again I rarely take baths, cause that's work to get out of the tub afterwards haha! The heat makes my legs/arms really weak. I'm certain of it being not soap allergies, it's what I thought it was but no. Just a shower to warm up from where I'm shivering so badly sets it off, no soap used then!

AnnaRat

Last edited by AnnaRat; 05-09-2004 at 06:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2004, 12:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Hey Annarat!

I read a post of yours about doctor shopping. How is that going?

The reason I posted this about heat rash from shower is that I've been getting them.

Recently, I met a woman who told me her lupus story. I'm not diagnosed with the cause of my symptoms but my doctors suspect some kind of autoimmune, lupus being one. Anyway, I thought it was chillingly interesting that the woman's lupus story included a heat rash from the shower.

She told me that for a few years she had been having symptoms. Her doctor suspected lupus. She relocated and had to get new physicians but informed each one of what she had been experiencing. Just before the flare that caused her to be diagnosed, she noticed a heat rash on her face, neck and chest after a shower. I think the next day or so she broke out in a rash on her arms and hands. Then she felt achy all over right down to the joints in all her toes. She emphasized that every joint ached. Very painful and unable to ambulate. She could barely get to the restroom and she cried showering, she said it hurt so bad all over. The labs were positive. Shortly afterwards, and still feeling crappy, they tested her again and she couldn't believe it that the labs were normal. She said she still felt crappy despite the labs.

I know many on the board are experiencing lupus symptoms and undiagnosed. Here is the story of a woman who is positive for it and that was what happened to her just before getting her diagnosis. She's been in remission but now having problems with an organ plus she has RA. Her lupus began 20 years ago.

Just wanted to share that with you. Thought you would appreciate it.

The key here is that Heat seems to have an immediate affect on those with autoimmune. I know I get the heat rashes and it affects the vision in my eye that I'm having problems with. (The first clue that something was amiss).

Old 05-24-2004, 12:36 PM   #4

RuthM HB User

This is my first post on this board. I found the board by doing a google search of "shower rash face". I have had "shower rashes" for years but have not thought too much about them. My skin is very light and I just figured that it was just sensitive. I also have irritable bowel syndrome, which seems to cause a myriad of symptoms.
Had to spend last night at my parents house, my plumbing clogged, and my mom kept going on and on about my face after I took a shower. I get a very marked redness on my cheeks and chest with absolutely no itching. It usually goes away in about an hour, sometimes longer.
My mom told me that one of my cousins had been diagnosed with Lupus (it took 20 years for the diagnosis even though her mother died from Lupus) and kept looking worried and hinting around.
Your post was definitely “chillingly interesting”. I guess I will look at Lupus a more seriously. At 41 I’m tired all the time and get achy joints at least once a month but thought that was just par for the course since I have a family and a job. Thanks for your alert.

Old 05-24-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Hi Ruth! Welcome to the Healthboards!

Yes, it is something to watch and consider as an autoimmune symptom.

Old 05-26-2004, 07:39 AM   #6

RuthM HB User

Thank you for the welcome California.
These boards are such a wealth of information - and are friendly too.

When you get a "shower rash" does it feel as though it is radiating heat from the inside? I know that sounds strange but I get to feeling like I am burning from the inside out sometimes. It does not itch at all, just burns. My doctor suggested pre-menopause since I am 41 but it still seems odd that it always happens after showers.

Last edited by RuthM; 05-26-2004 at 07:40 AM.

Old 05-26-2004, 05:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

If it is hormonal causing the heat intolerance, you can have a FSH,follicle stimulating hormone, lab test done to see if you are peri-menopausal.

Also, have you checked the thyroid? That can cause heat intolerance too.

But for autoimmune, I am wondering if inflammation and it possibly building up is the key.

Old 05-27-2004, 08:18 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

teachergirl64 HB User

How interesting! I have a butterfly shaped blush rash on my face most days and it sure pops out and brightens up after I've been in the shower. I also have a rash on my chest and back. I just thought it was from the warm water. I'll be sure to mention it to the dermatologist next week. My internist says I have lupus and the rheumy says I don't. I guess the dermatologist will be the deciding vote, lol.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:01 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User

Redness from heat and the shower can also be from rosacea.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Teachergirl--
Well let us know what the dermatologist says about it! That surely will be interesting.

Ruth, I've been pondering your question about the burning inside. I don't know what the gal felt with regards to that question. And, I do recall times when I felt heat intolerance. I know that is not a good answer but I really don't know. Perhaps someone else will come along and be able to clarify.

Closed Thread