It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2004, 05:03 AM   #1
Inactive

seatx HB User
How Long after sun exposure do you flare?

Hey group,

Was working in the yard Sunday with long pants, long sleeve thick teeshirt and a "booney hat" stayed in the shaded areas as much as possible. Had a couple of neck nodules prior to Sunday.

Had a couple more Monday. Many more Tuesday. Got bigger Wednesday and are even more pronounced today.

I know everyone is different, but how long after you have been in the sun do you get your rashes and/or joint pain?

My Joint pain started Tuesday afternoon. Ran a fever Tuesday night. Woke up Wednesday felt ok, went to work. Came home last night, started another fever up to 100.8 before it started coming down.(3 extra Strength Tylenol and 2 hours later 2 advil). Feel well enough to go to work, but nodules are more pronounced.

Also, anyone notice any difference in the color of their clothes, ie dark colors absorb more heat from the sun, whereas light colors reflect? I know it is the UV rays but wanted your thoughts on color of clothes.

Thanks

Old 05-06-2004, 07:53 AM   #2
(female)

Donte HB User
Re: How Long after sun exposure do you flare?

Not sure about color of clothes; never noticed. But, a couple of times, I didn't get the rash until the next day or even the day after. I've never had nodules appear either. Just the rash, flu-feeling, headaches, joint pain and muscle aches. I am curious to know now though if the color of clothes do make a difference. Any one else have any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2004, 06:23 PM   #3
Inactive

seatx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donte
Not sure about color of clothes; never noticed. But, a couple of times, I didn't get the rash until the next day or even the day after. I've never had nodules appear either. Just the rash, flu-feeling, headaches, joint pain and muscle aches. I am curious to know now though if the color of clothes do make a difference. Any one else have any thoughts?

Donte,

Thanks for responding. My "rash" starts out as nodules. This is indicative of Tumid Lupus, which is what I have been diagnosed with.

Anybody else have any input?

Old 05-07-2004, 06:47 AM   #4

ClareTee HB User

I think the colour is less important than the density. A crude test is whether light can be seen through the fabric when it's held up to the light. There's a laundry product Ritguard which claims to increase SPF in fabrics. Or wearing two garments can help reduce as the weaves will be different. Then there is the large range of special siun protective clothing like solumbra.

I believe that tumid lupus is particularly photosensitive.

Apart from direct sun there is ambient UV and reflections. Heat alone can play a part for some with lupus. Also over exertion or unusual physical activity.

I think it's very variable how long people take to react. It maybe a few months in some cases. It's quite common for skin lupus to be noticeably worse in late fall and winter presumably after summer exposure.
If the Plaquenil isn't helping as much as you'd like ask about adding Quinacrine to it.

All the best
Clare

Old 05-07-2004, 12:45 PM   #5
Inactive

seatx HB User

Thanks for the input Clare.

I've only been on the Plaquenil about 5 weeks so I'm sure it is not totally functional yet.

I don't have as much as the accompanying joint pain this time, but the nodular rash is quite bothersome. Living in Texas doesn't help much either. But what can you do.

Closed Thread