It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2004, 03:55 PM   #1

Tia Maria HB User
Diabetes and Lupus

Hi! I am relatively new to the board. I posted a message a couple of weeks ago about my high ANA of 1:1280 homogeneous. Anyway, I just had my appointment with my Rheumy and he is really leaning towards lupus with all of my symptoms and my high blood reading. I had to do more bloodwork for him as well as a urine sample and I will find out the results next Friday and he said we would talk about treatment.

I have type 1 diabetes and I was wondering if anyone else has diabetes along with lupus and if these diseases are connected? Also, I was wondering what medications my Rheumy might suggest if my bloodwork leads him to the dx of lupus? One last question for now. Just recently I have been having sharp pains in my right calf that almost bring me to tears. It feels like my whole calf muscle is convulsing and/or like an animal is biting my leg to the bone. Anyone else have anything like that and if so what could it mean? Thanks so much in advance for all replies. I will keep everyone updated as I find out more about my results.

Old 05-28-2004, 04:22 PM   #2

emberisle HB User
Re: Diabetes and Lupus

Hi, Tia!

I'm glad to hear you have a rheumatologist that's on the ball.

I don't recall seeing that lupus and diabetes so much 'go together' in the same person, but I have seen it referenced many times that 'autoimmune' diseases run in the family - so while I have lupus, my mother has diabetes. I'm not entirely clear how diabetes is classified as autoimmune but I've seen it grouped with the connective tissue diseases frequently.

As for your calf muscle, is it like a charley horse? I've usually gotten those at night but sometimes it happens during the day, and more often I get what feels like a charley horse in my chin/neck when I yawn. It's damn painful, but I've never thought to check into what might be the cause.

Take care!

Ember

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2004, 05:34 PM   #3
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User

Tia,
You should have that calf pain checked out. Almost sounds like a blood clot or disruption in blood flow to me. Definitely have it checked out. When I was having severe leg cramps, I ended up having blood clots in my heart, although it's more likely to show up in the legs. I was unable to walk quickly or for long distances. If you're having this problem, I wouldn't wait to check it out. Shari

Old 05-28-2004, 08:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User

Hello,

Diabetes and Lupus CAN go hand in hand, since both are autoimmune (since you have Type 1). I have both Type 1 Diabetes, and Lupus. When someone has autoimmune disease, they have a tendancy to develop others. Look at all of the people out there that not only have Lupus, but have Sjogrens, Hashimotos Thyroiditis, etc. There are tons of similarities of the autoimmune functions at the cellular level. As for the calf pain, I agree with Shari to get that checked out immediately.

The drugs prescribed for Lupus can be: Prednisone, Plaquenil, Methotrexate, Imuran etc. There are MANY different ones and your doctor will pick them according to how much you have going on in your body. Many people are put on prednisone with Plaquenil, but if that doesnt work then they will be put on others. It all depends on the person. I sincerly hope that your Rheumy will diagnose you properly.. your ANA is quite high thats for sure!!! Anyway, please take care.. and ask any questions that you may have!

~Luv, Angelic

Old 05-29-2004, 07:03 AM   #5

Tia Maria HB User

Everyone, thanks so much for your insight! I will definately get my leg checked out. I will keep you updated as I find out more.

Tia

Old 05-31-2004, 05:43 PM   #6
(female)

elegantgi HB User

Dear Tia Maria,
I just wanted to say that all of the information you are getting from the ladies is exactly right. A person with an autoimmune disease is prone to others. I have had vitiligo since I was about 1 mos old and my doctor told me that having one autoimmune disorder made me more prone to others.....take care and I wish you a speedy diagnosis and overall good health....elegantgi

Closed Thread